Windy City Tops Lakeland 96-71 in Season Opener
Hoffman Estates, IL - The Windy City Bulls, presented by BMO Harris Bank, the NBA G League affiliate of the Chicago Bulls, began their third season with a 96-71 victory over the Lakeland Magic on Friday Night at Sears Centre Arena.
Four players scored in double figures for Windy City led by Tyler Ulis who poured in a game-high 25 points to go along with four rebounds and seven assists. Mychal Mulder tallied 14 points and eight rebounds, while Kaiser Gates added 13 points, six rebounds and two steals in a reserve role. Ferrakohn Hall pitched in with 11 points and six rebounds.
Four of the five Magic starters scored in double figures led by Troy Caupain who amassed 15 points, four rebounds and seven assists. Lakeland's second Two-Way player, Amile Jefferson, recorded a 14-point, 11 rebound double-double, while BJ Johnson and Devin Davis had 11 points apiece.
After a defensive first quarter that featured four ties and eight lead changes, Windy City trailed by a basket, 21-19. Both teams combined to shoot 15 for 50 and 30 percent from the floor. However, Windy City would take advantage in the second period, racing out to a double-digit lead. Despite shooting just 38 percent in the quarter, the Bulls doubled up Lakeland and outscored them 28-14. After leading by as many as 14 and outgaining the Magic in every major statistical category, Windy City went into the intermission leading 47-35.
The second quarter momentum resurfaced in the third as the Bulls extended their lead to 20 points. Ulis exerted himself in the period, nearly matching his first half point total with 12 points in the frame. Windy City went to the foul line 10 times, shot 45 percent in the quarter and led 76-56 heading into the final 12 minutes.
Windy City went on to extend their lead to 23 points on a jump shot by Kaiser Gates. Lakeland was unable to trim the lead inside 19 and the Bulls collected their first win of the season in convincing fashion, 96-71.
The 71 points is the fewest allowed in franchise history, besting the 78-point performance against the Fort Wayne Mad Ants on Jan. 19, 2017. With the win, Windy City is now 2-1 all-time in season openers and 3-1 against Lakeland over the past two seasons.
The Bulls hit the road tomorrow night as they embark on their first road game and divisional contest of the season. Tip-off with the Grand Rapids Drive is 6:00pm CT at DeltaPlex Arena.
Fans can stay up-to-date on team news by following the team on Twitter (@WindyCityBulls) or visiting (WindyCityBulls.com). Full season membership, group, and single tickets for the 2018-19 Windy City Bulls season are on sale now. For all ticket information and full season schedule, visit WindyCityBulls.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Wolves Battle, Fall to Skyforce on Opening Weekend - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Windy City Falls to Grand Rapids - Windy City Bulls
- Wolves Battle, Fall to Skyforce on Opening Weekend - Iowa Wolves
- Vipers Outhustle Memphis in Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay Falls to Stockton in First Game of the Season - South Bay Lakers
- Charge Season Opens with Defeat - Canton Charge
- Go-Go Drop First Game to Swarm in Overtime - Capital City Go-Go
- BayHawks Take Down Magic - Erie BayHawks
- Ellenson Leads Drive to Win over Bulls - Grand Rapids Drive
- Westchester Looks to First Win Streak at Long Island - Westchester Knicks
- De'Anthony Melton Assigned to NAZ Suns by Phoenix - Northern Arizona Suns
- Blue Overpowers Kings in Season Opener - Oklahoma City Blue
- Herd Drops Season Opener against Swarm - Wisconsin Herd
- Skyforce Open 30th Season with Home Win - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Windy City Tops Lakeland 96-71 in Season Opener - Windy City Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City Bulls Stories
- Windy City Drops Second Consecutive Game, Loses 115-101 to Erie
- Lakeland Snaps Windy City's Three-Game Winning Streak, Defeat Bulls 141-109
- Windy City Bulls Clinch Spot in 2018-19 NBA G League Playoffs
- Windy City Bulls Win Overtime Thriller, Beat Maine 130-127
- Windy City Sets Franchise Record in Wins, Beat Greensboro 113-107