Blue Overpowers Kings in Season Opener
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Oklahoma City Blue (1-0) downed the Stockton Kings (0-1), 124-89, in the Kings' inaugural game in Stockton and the Blue's largest season-opening win in franchise history.
Stockton was the first to score, holding the lead for the majority of the first quarter until a 14-1 run put the Blue on top 25-17 with just under two minutes remaining in the frame. Oklahoma City widened the gap to double figures midway through the second quarter and gradually expanded its advantage to a 35-point margin by the end of the game, outscoring the Kings 31-16 in the final frame.
Seven Oklahoma City players scored in double figures with Bryce Alford leading the way as he logged a game-best 23 points, three rebounds, three assists and three steals. Scotty Hopson was close behind with 20 points and four rebounds, while Richard Solomon went a perfect 5-for-5 from the field en route to 13 points, eight rebounds, two assists and four steals.
Two-way players Deonte Burton and Tyler Davis bolstered the Blue bench efforts as Burton recorded 18 points and three rebounds, shooting 7-of-13 from the floor, while Davis produced a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds, going 5-for-7 from the field and blocking two shots.
The Blue dominated the Kings in the paint 72-36 and outshot them 53.6 percent to 38.4 percent from the field. Oklahoma City also grabbed 12 steals to produce 23 points off Stockton turnovers while only giving up eight points due to Blue turnovers.
Kalin Lucas led the charge for Stockton, coming off the bench to register a team-high 19 points, five rebounds, five assists and two steals.
The Blue will return to action on Sunday, Nov. 4, facing off against the Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario in a 5 p.m. central matinee inside Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, Calif.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Wolves Battle, Fall to Skyforce on Opening Weekend - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Windy City Falls to Grand Rapids - Windy City Bulls
- Wolves Battle, Fall to Skyforce on Opening Weekend - Iowa Wolves
- Vipers Outhustle Memphis in Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay Falls to Stockton in First Game of the Season - South Bay Lakers
- Charge Season Opens with Defeat - Canton Charge
- Go-Go Drop First Game to Swarm in Overtime - Capital City Go-Go
- BayHawks Take Down Magic - Erie BayHawks
- Ellenson Leads Drive to Win over Bulls - Grand Rapids Drive
- Westchester Looks to First Win Streak at Long Island - Westchester Knicks
- De'Anthony Melton Assigned to NAZ Suns by Phoenix - Northern Arizona Suns
- Blue Overpowers Kings in Season Opener - Oklahoma City Blue
- Herd Drops Season Opener against Swarm - Wisconsin Herd
- Skyforce Open 30th Season with Home Win - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Windy City Tops Lakeland 96-71 in Season Opener - Windy City Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Blue Stories
- Oklahoma City Announces Coaching Staff Updates
- Oklahoma City Acquires Returning Player Rights to Beau Beech and First-Round Draft Pick
- Thunder Signs Devon Hall to Two-Way Contract
- Oklahoma City Blue Announces 2019-20 Regular-Season Schedule
- Oklahoma City Wins Overtime Nail-Biter