BayHawks Take Down Magic
Erie, PA - The Erie BayHawks, NBA G League affiliate of the Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club (2-0), defeated division rival Lakeland Magic (0-2) tonight inside Erie Insurance Arena, 132-108. Erie's 2-0 start marks its best start to a season since the 2014-15 campaign (3-0).
The Magic jumped out to an early 7-2 lead in tonight's contest. Erie responded by going on a 19-4 run, capitalized by a Craig Sword steal and layup. With 5:00 left to play in the first quarter, the BayHawks held a 10-point, 21-11, advantage. Erie extended its lead, 29-17, heading into the second quarter of play. The BayHawks would maintain control throughout the second quarter, holding a 15-point, 56-41, lead after the opening half.
Erie began the third quarter on a 15-5 run, behind Atlanta Hawks two-way guard, Jaylen Adams, who scored 11 of the team's first 15 points. With 9:05 left in the quarter, the BayHawks found themselves with a 71-46 advantage. After three quarters of play, Erie held a 19-point, 91-72, lead. The BayHawks eclipsed the 100-point plateau early in the fourth quarter off of a John Gillon three-pointer. Jaylen Adams buried a triple with 7:05 left to play in regulation to give Erie a 29-point, 110-81, lead. The BayHawks would finish tonight's divisional contest with a 132-108 win.
Erie scored its 132 points on 49-89 (.551) shooting from the floor. The BayHawks held advantages in points in the paint (66-52) and fast break points (21-8). In two games this season, Erie is averaging 64.0 points in the paint.
Terrence Jones tallied a game-high 27 points on 10-14 (.714) shooting from the floor, to go along with five rebounds, five assists, a game-high tying three steals and one block in 29.5 minutes of play. Atlanta Hawks assignee, Daniel Hamilton, recorded a double-double in tonight's win, finishing with 24 points on 10-16 (.625) shooting, including a 4-9 (.444) clip from three-point territory, a team-high 12 rebounds and a game-high seven assists in 32.3 minutes. Jaylen Adams drained six triples for the second consecutive night, finishing with 24 points on 9-18 (.500) shooting, a 6-12 (.500) mark from deep, four rebounds, four assists and a game-high tying three steals in 30.1 minutes. Jeremy Hollowell contributed 22 points on 8-9 (.889) shooting from the field, four rebounds, three assists, one steal and one block in 28.1 minutes as a reserve.
Orlando Magic two-way forward Amile Jefferson pulled down a game-high 18 rebounds, to go along with 20 points on 8-15 (.533) shooting and two assists in 43.2 minutes. Fellow Magic two-way player, Troy Caupain, poured in a team-best 24 points, eight rebounds and a team-high six assists in 41.5 minutes. John Petrucelli notched 19 points on 7-9 (.778) shooting, four rebounds and three assists in 29.5 minutes coming off of the bench.
The BayHawks will hit the road for a three-game road trip, beginning on Friday, November 9 at Fort Wayne. Erie will then face the Canton Charge (November 10) and the Raptors 905 (November 13) before heading home to take on the Westchester Knicks (November 16). All games are set to tip at 7:00 p.m., with the exception of Tuesday, November 13 against the 905 (11:00 a.m.) Tickets can be purchased online at eriebayhawks.com or at the Erie Insurance Arena box office.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 3, 2018
- Wolves Battle, Fall to Skyforce on Opening Weekend - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Windy City Falls to Grand Rapids - Windy City Bulls
- Wolves Battle, Fall to Skyforce on Opening Weekend - Iowa Wolves
- Vipers Outhustle Memphis in Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- South Bay Falls to Stockton in First Game of the Season - South Bay Lakers
- Charge Season Opens with Defeat - Canton Charge
- Go-Go Drop First Game to Swarm in Overtime - Capital City Go-Go
- BayHawks Take Down Magic - Erie BayHawks
- Ellenson Leads Drive to Win over Bulls - Grand Rapids Drive
- Westchester Looks to First Win Streak at Long Island - Westchester Knicks
- De'Anthony Melton Assigned to NAZ Suns by Phoenix - Northern Arizona Suns
- Blue Overpowers Kings in Season Opener - Oklahoma City Blue
- Herd Drops Season Opener against Swarm - Wisconsin Herd
- Skyforce Open 30th Season with Home Win - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Windy City Tops Lakeland 96-71 in Season Opener - Windy City Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.