South Bay Drops Road Game in Austin
CEDAR PARK, TX - The South Bay Lakers lost the second game of their road trip, as they fell to the Austin Spurs, 122-114, on Friday night. Johnathan Williams posted 21 points and eight rebounds for South Bay (11-16), but it wasn't enough to grab the win. Drew Eubanks finished with 27 points and 15 rebounds for Austin (13-15) in the victory.
Williams powered the Lakers to a big lead through one, 37-25, with 11 points in the first quarter. The Spurs fought back in the second quarter behind nine points from Travis Trice II, but South Bay held a slight 56-55 lead at the half.
The Lakers fell behind after three, 85-82, as Eubanks scored eight points in the third quarter. Isaac Bonga and Travis Wear combined for 12 points to keep South Bay within striking distance. Lonnie Walker IV took over in the fourth quarter, scoring 16 points in the final period alone, to give the Spurs the win.
Eubanks led the Spurs with a big double-double and Walker IV's scoring burst in the fourth quarter put the stamp on the win. Trice II scored 23 points in his first game with Austin. Jordan Green (15 points) and John Holland (11 points) also reached double digits for the Spurs.
A team-high 21 points from Williams paced the Lakers on a night where all five starters scored in double figures. Wear finished with 17 points, Bonga tallied 15 points, eight rebounds and three assists, Alex Caruso scored 13 and Scott Machado finished with 10 of his own. Jemerrio Jones tallied a 10-point, 10-rebound double-double off the bench and Robert Heyer scored 10 points for the second unit.
South Bay will return home to face the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Sunday, January 20 at 5:00pm PT from the UCLA Health Training Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Austin Spurs Defeat South Bay Lakers 122-114 - Austin Spurs
- Windy City Drops Second Consecutive Game, Lose 107-103 to Erie - Windy City Bulls
- Wolves Lose Stunner in Final Seconds to Blue - Iowa Wolves
- Lakeland's Hot Third Quarter Propels Them Past Wisconsin - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Drops Road Game in Austin - South Bay Lakers
- Payton Ll Drains 31 En Route to Leading Vipers Past Memphis - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hustle Defense Falters against Rio Grande Valley - Memphis Hustle
- Long Island Loses Back-And-Forth Thriller in Dramatic Fashion - Long Island Nets
- Levi's Game-Winner Cuts Down Nets - Canton Charge
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas - Grand Rapids Drive
- McRae's 54 Points Sinks Maine - Maine Red Claws
- Advisory: Saturday's Weather Forecast - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Herd Acquires Andre Spight - Wisconsin Herd
- Jaylen Adams Transferred from Atlanta to Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Charge Add Phil Carr - Canton Charge
- Clippers Bench Sparks Win over Kings - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.