Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas
GRAND RAPIDS - The Grand Rapids Drive (12-14) went on a 27-7 run in the fourth quarter to pull away and beat the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (14-12) at home Friday night by a final score of 123-105. Newly signed two-way player and Michigan State product Kalin Lucas led the way with 27 points, six rebounds and nine assists in just 27 minutes off the bench.
Marcus Thornton scored 24 points as well for the Drive and Todd Withers tied his season best with 21 points and also added seven rebounds. The Drive's other new two-way player Isaiah Whitehead fought off some struggles with his shot and recorded 11 points, nine rebounds and six assists. Johnny Hamilton and Michael Bethea Jr. also scored in double figures for the Drive to give them six players with at least 10 points.
For Fort Wayne, Edmond Sumner had a big game with 33 points (30 of them coming in the first three quarters), drawing 12 free throw attempts. Rob Gray scored 19 points off the bench and Stephan Hicks had an efficient 16 points and seven rebounds despite being limited to 24 minutes with some foul trouble.
The Drive jumped on the Ants from the beginning, building a 24-point lead early, pouring in 42 points in the first quarter to beat their previous season high for the first quarter by eight points. Thornton scored 15 points in the first 12 minutes. But the Mad Ants spent the following two quarters chipping away at the deficit, ultimately entering the fourth quarter down just two and re-taking the lead. The Drive responded in the fourth to earn their fifth win in their last seven games.
Ultimately, Grand Rapids missed their season high for points in a game by just two. They shot 47-of-95 (49 percent) from the floor and knocked down 16-of-36 (44 percent) three-pointers.
The Drive will look to keep up their recent strong run in their first ever matchup with the Capital City Go-Go on Monday night at home. Three of their next five games will be against Capital City. The Ants will finish out the second game of a back-to-back at home against the Lakeland Magic Saturday night.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Austin Spurs Defeat South Bay Lakers 122-114 - Austin Spurs
- Windy City Drops Second Consecutive Game, Lose 107-103 to Erie - Windy City Bulls
- Wolves Lose Stunner in Final Seconds to Blue - Iowa Wolves
- Lakeland's Hot Third Quarter Propels Them Past Wisconsin - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Drops Road Game in Austin - South Bay Lakers
- Payton Ll Drains 31 En Route to Leading Vipers Past Memphis - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hustle Defense Falters against Rio Grande Valley - Memphis Hustle
- Long Island Loses Back-And-Forth Thriller in Dramatic Fashion - Long Island Nets
- Levi's Game-Winner Cuts Down Nets - Canton Charge
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas - Grand Rapids Drive
- McRae's 54 Points Sinks Maine - Maine Red Claws
- Advisory: Saturday's Weather Forecast - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Herd Acquires Andre Spight - Wisconsin Herd
- Jaylen Adams Transferred from Atlanta to Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Charge Add Phil Carr - Canton Charge
- Clippers Bench Sparks Win over Kings - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.