Lakeland's Hot Third Quarter Propels Them Past Wisconsin
OSHKOSH, Wis. - The Lakeland Magic took down the Wisconsin Herd, 124-110, on Wisconsin's cheese curd-themed jersey night at Menominee Nation Arena on Friday.
The Magic caught fire in the third quarter, creating a momentum shift the Herd couldn't overcome. After entering the break with just a four-point lead (55-51), Lakeland erupted for 35 points in the third quarter on 15-of-24 shooting (62.5 percent). Providing the spark was Anthony Brown and two-way forward Amile Jefferson, who scored nine and eight points in the third quarter alone, respectively.
Lakeland put up a strong shooting performance, converting 52 of their 95 attempts from the field, including 16-of-32 from deep. Wisconsin also shot well, getting more than half of their attempts to fall (40-78).
The Magic were led by Troy Caupain's impressive all-around performance, finishing with 20 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. His teammate, Anthony Brown, provided a bulk of the scoring, recording a team-high 22 points. Lakeland had seven players finish in double figures.
The Herd's top performer was forward Michael Qualls, who scored a career and game-high 27 points while tallying nine rebounds. Wisconsin had two other players score in the twenties: assignee Christian Wood and guard Vander Blue, finishing with 21 points apiece. Guard Nick Johnson made his Herd debut, notching seven points and a team-high seven assists.
Both teams play tomorrow as part of a back-to-back. Wisconsin heads to D.C. to take on the Capital City Go-Go, and Lakeland squares off on the road against the Fort Wayne Mad Ants.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Austin Spurs Defeat South Bay Lakers 122-114 - Austin Spurs
- Windy City Drops Second Consecutive Game, Lose 107-103 to Erie - Windy City Bulls
- Wolves Lose Stunner in Final Seconds to Blue - Iowa Wolves
- Lakeland's Hot Third Quarter Propels Them Past Wisconsin - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Drops Road Game in Austin - South Bay Lakers
- Payton Ll Drains 31 En Route to Leading Vipers Past Memphis - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hustle Defense Falters against Rio Grande Valley - Memphis Hustle
- Long Island Loses Back-And-Forth Thriller in Dramatic Fashion - Long Island Nets
- Levi's Game-Winner Cuts Down Nets - Canton Charge
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas - Grand Rapids Drive
- McRae's 54 Points Sinks Maine - Maine Red Claws
- Advisory: Saturday's Weather Forecast - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Herd Acquires Andre Spight - Wisconsin Herd
- Jaylen Adams Transferred from Atlanta to Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Charge Add Phil Carr - Canton Charge
- Clippers Bench Sparks Win over Kings - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.