McRae's 54 Points Sinks Maine
Washington, DC - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, had a big early lead, but gave up a record-setting performance to Washington Wizards Two-Way Player Jordan McRae, falling at Capital City tonight, 118-107.
Maine (8-18) was led by Boston Celtics Two-Way Player P.J. Dozier, who finished with 26 points and 7 rebounds. Justin Bibbs added 22 points, while Andrew White scored 21 points. Archie Goodwin led the bench with 10 points.
McRae carried Capital City (15-10) with 54 points, shattering the record for most points scored by a Red Claws opponent. The previous record was 49 points, set by Manny Harris two seasons ago. McRae scored his 54 in just 38 minutes on 18-31 shooting, including 5-9 from three-point range and 13-14 from the free throw line.
The Red Claws opened the game on an 8-0 run, with White knocking in two of his first three three-pointers. The barrage continued - with White knocking in another trey and Maine making 5 of its first 7 threes, taking a 17-2 lead. Capital City started the game shooting just 3-14 from the field, as the Claws led by 11. Goodwin and Bibbs scored on back-to-back possessions, putting Maine up 27-10. Wizards Two-Way Player Jordan McRae dropped in a three late in the quarter, but Maine led 31-20 after 1.
The Go-Go opened the 2nd with two quick buckets, but Dallas Lauderdale's lay-up stopped the mini run. Hunter buried his first bucket, a long three, to make it 41-28 Red Claws. The Go-Go would close it back to 11 with a Chris Chiozza driving lay-up. McRae's steal and score made it a 9 point game at 48-39. Goodwin and Brown righted the ship before McRae and Capital City went on a 9-0 run to cut it to 55-50. Chiozza's bucket in the closing seconds capped off a 14-2 run for the Go-Go, making it just a 57-55 Red Claws lead at halftime. White led Maine with 14 points at the break, while McRae was 9-16 from the floor for 26 points in the first half alone.
The 2nd half started with McRae immediately scoring to tie the game at 57. Noah Allen knocked in a three to give Capital City its first lead, and McRae's three made it 65-64 Go-Go. Dozier's drive gave Maine the lead back. McRae's three-point play gave him 36 on the night. McRae continued to score at will, getting to 42 points and a 81-74 Capital City lead. Kellen Dunham's dunk helped give Capital City an 87-81 lead after 3. Maine was out-scored 32-24 in the 3rd quarter.
The Red Claws went on a quick 5-0 run to get back within 4 points. McRae's three-point play extended the Go-Go lead to 95-85. Bibbs answered with two quick baskets. Dozier's put-back and a White three cut it to 101-99. The Go-Go exploded for a quick 7-0 run to make it a 9 point lead. McRae crossed 50 points, then buried another three to lead Capital City on a 15-2 run to extend the lead to 15, putting the game away.
Maine shot 48% (42-87) from the field, 39% (13-33) from three-point range, and 10-16 from the free throw line. Capital City shot 43% (39-90) from the floor, 34% (11-32) from downtown, and 29-33 from the charity stripe.
The Red Claws return to action tomorrow night at Canton. Maine returns home next Thursday. Tickets are on sale now by calling 207-210-6655 or visiting MaineRedClaws.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 18, 2019
- Austin Spurs Defeat South Bay Lakers 122-114 - Austin Spurs
- Windy City Drops Second Consecutive Game, Lose 107-103 to Erie - Windy City Bulls
- Wolves Lose Stunner in Final Seconds to Blue - Iowa Wolves
- Lakeland's Hot Third Quarter Propels Them Past Wisconsin - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Drops Road Game in Austin - South Bay Lakers
- Payton Ll Drains 31 En Route to Leading Vipers Past Memphis - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Hustle Defense Falters against Rio Grande Valley - Memphis Hustle
- Long Island Loses Back-And-Forth Thriller in Dramatic Fashion - Long Island Nets
- Levi's Game-Winner Cuts Down Nets - Canton Charge
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas - Grand Rapids Drive
- McRae's 54 Points Sinks Maine - Maine Red Claws
- Advisory: Saturday's Weather Forecast - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Herd Acquires Andre Spight - Wisconsin Herd
- Jaylen Adams Transferred from Atlanta to Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Charge Add Phil Carr - Canton Charge
- Clippers Bench Sparks Win over Kings - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.