Sounders FC to Wear Parley Kits on April 21 against LAFC
SEATTLE, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC today announced that the club is scheduled to wear specially designed adidas Parley kits on Sunday, April 21 as the team plays away at Los Angeles FC in a nationally televised match on FS1.
The unique collaboration between adidas, Major League Soccer and environmental network Parley for the Oceans began in 2017, when Sounders FC was one of four MLS teams selected to participate in the program, which was designed to raise awareness around the harmful impact of marine plastic pollution. Following a successful launch, the initiative was expanded in 2018 to include all MLS clubs, in conjunction with MLS WORKS Greener Goals and the league-wide effort to highlight MLS' commitment to environmental sustainability.
The 2019 edition of the jerseys comes in two colorways representing the depth of the oceans: Blue Spirit and Legend Ink. All MLS clubs have been assigned one of these two kits, which are being worn over Earth Day weekend. Seattle is donning the Blue Spirit kit in its match against LAFC on April 21, while LAFC is wearing the darker Legend Ink version.
The kits are created from technical yarns containing Parley Ocean Plastic - upcycled marine plastic that has been reworked into fibers that are repurposed for apparel. Along with the unique fabric, the jerseys feature special neck-tape reading "For the Oceans," to commemorate the unique repurposing process that helped create the jerseys from marine plastic debris and each club's name is featured on the back-neck.
A limited number of 2019 Sounders FC adidas Parley jerseys are available for purchase through MLSstore.com, adidas.com and local Sounders FC Pro Shops.
Sustainability is one of the club's key community pillars and Sounders FC has long been dedicated to environmental causes. Earlier this season, the Rave Green announced their commitment to going carbon neutral in 2019 and beyond, becoming the first professional sports team among MLS, NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL organizations, as well as the first professional soccer team in North America, to do so. The club also regularly partners with Washington Green Schools, recognizing the importance of teaching sustainable practices and environmental stewardship during childhood, and last year created a collaborative "Rave Green Certification" program across Washington State to honor schools that have demonstrated outstanding leadership through taking actions that make their communities greener and healthier.
Before traveling to Los Angeles next weekend, Seattle hosts Toronto FC at CenturyLink Field this Saturday in a 1:00 p.m. PT kickoff (JOEtv, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM). The club is unbeaten in its first five matches of the 2019 season, the best start in franchise history.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 11, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: April 11, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- City's Attack Finds Contributions from Multiple Figures - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Acquires $400K in TAM from LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- Toronto FC Acquires First Round Pick in 2020 MLS SuperDraft from Los Angeles Galaxy - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Giancarlo Gonzalez - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC to Wear Parley Kits on April 21 against LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- MNUFC and Ebbets Field Flannels Present the "L'etoile Du Nord" Collection - Minnesota United FC
- West End Stadium Launches First Source - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United, Major League Soccer Celebrate Earth Day with Fourth Annual Greener Goals Week of Service - Atlanta United FC
- DeLeon Signs Extension with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Earth Day with Fourth Annual Greener Goals Week of Service - MLS
- FC Cincinnati to Celebrate Earth Day with Special adidas X Parley Uniforms at April 19 Game - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Unveil 2019 Parley for the Oceans Kit, MLS WORKS Greener Goals Initiatives - Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: New York Starts Two-Match Roadtrip, Begins with Sporting KC - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Announces WaFd Bank as Jersey Sleeve Patch Partner for 2020 Season
- RAVE Foundation and Seattle Storm Unite with Symetra Life Insurance Company to Renovate Public Multi-Purpose Recreation Space for Youth
- Sounders FC Signs Midfielder Shandon Hopeau as Homegrown Player
- In the Final Edition of Sounders FC Classics, Enjoy Seattle's 2019 Seven-Goal Thriller against the LA Galaxy, Presented by Fred Meyer
- Relive the Game That Ushered in a Championship Season on this Week's "Sounders FC Classics" Broadcast, Presented by Premera Blue Cross