LA Galaxy Sign Defender Giancarlo Gonzalez
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy announced today the club has signed defender Giancarlo Gonzalez from Bologna in Italy's Serie A utilizing Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). The 31-year-old Costa Rica International joins the LA Galaxy after playing in Italy's top-flight division since 2014. He will occupy an International Roster Spot and be added to the roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa.
The LA Galaxy acquired Gonzalez after trading with Orlando City SC and Toronto FC to move into the #1 Allocation Ranking. Additional details are below.
"Giancarlo is a very experienced and talented central defender that we believe will strengthen our backline," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "He is familiar with MLS and he has played at the highest levels across the world. We are excited to add him to our roster and look forward to integrating him into our team."
Gonzalez has made over 100 appearances in Serie A since 2014 while playing for Palermo and Bologna. In 2014, he had a standout year as a member of Columbus Crew SC, the same season he represented Costa Rica at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, where he led his team to finish first in Group D ahead of Uruguay, Italy and England before advancing all the way to the Quarter Finals of the tournament. He again represented his country in the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.
Prior to joining Columbus in 2014, Gonzalez played professionally in the first divisions of Norway and Costa Rica from 2009-2013. He made 27 appearances and scored three goals over one and a half full seasons while playing for Norwegian First Division side Valerenga following a three-year spell with Alajuelense of Costa Rica's Primera Division, where he made 57 regular-season appearances and scored six goals.
Internationally, Gonzalez has made over 70 appearances for Costa Rica, including competitions across the FIFA World Cup, FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, Concacaf Gold Cup matches and Copa Centroamericana contests. He originally made his he made his international debut for Costa Rica against Slovakia in 2010.
Gonzalez and the LA Galaxy return home this week for a contest against the Philadelphia Union at Dignity Health Sports Park this Saturday, April 13 (7:30 p.m. PT; Spectrum SportsNet).
Transaction: LA Galaxy trade the #11 2019 Allocation Ranking, $300,000 in 2019 Target Allocation Money, and $100,000 in 2020 Target Allocation Money to Orlando City SC in exchange for the #2 2019 Allocation Ranking.
Transaction: LA Galaxy trade the #2 2019 Allocation Ranking and a 2020 Natural 1st Round SuperDraft Pick to Toronto FC in exchange for the #1 2019 Allocation Ranking.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign defender Giancarlo Gonzalez from Bologna (ITA) using TAM.
Name: Giancarlo Gonzalez
Weight: 185 lbs.
Born: Feb. 8, 1988
Last Club: Bologna (ITA)
Birthplace: San Jose, Costa Rica
Nationality: Costa Rica
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2019 Major League Soccer season at Dignity Health Sports Park are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2019 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 11, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: April 11, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- City's Attack Finds Contributions from Multiple Figures - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Acquires $400K in TAM from LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- Toronto FC Acquires First Round Pick in 2020 MLS SuperDraft from Los Angeles Galaxy - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Giancarlo Gonzalez - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC to Wear Parley Kits on April 21 against LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- MNUFC and Ebbets Field Flannels Present the "L'etoile Du Nord" Collection - Minnesota United FC
- West End Stadium Launches First Source - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United, Major League Soccer Celebrate Earth Day with Fourth Annual Greener Goals Week of Service - Atlanta United FC
- DeLeon Signs Extension with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Earth Day with Fourth Annual Greener Goals Week of Service - MLS
- FC Cincinnati to Celebrate Earth Day with Special adidas X Parley Uniforms at April 19 Game - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Unveil 2019 Parley for the Oceans Kit, MLS WORKS Greener Goals Initiatives - Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: New York Starts Two-Match Roadtrip, Begins with Sporting KC - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Expand TOGETHER AT HOME Community Initiative
- LA Galaxy Join 'Teams for LA' to Benefit the Mayor's Fund for Los Angeles
- LA Galaxy Unveil Support Local Campaign in Conjunction with TOGETHER AT HOME
- LA Galaxy Forward Chicharito Headlines eMLS Tournament Special
- LA Galaxy Launch TOGETHER AT HOME Campaign