West End Stadium Launches First Source
CINCINNATI - When setting out to build their new Major League Soccer stadium in the West End neighborhood of Cincinnati, FC Cincinnati wanted to ensure they created "diversity of opportunities for all."
"From the beginning, we anticipated this project to be a catalyst in so many ways for our city and the community," FC Cincinnati President and General Manager Jeff Berding said. "One of those ways includes the trade work that fuels the stadium's construction. The word opportunity in the project mission statement is focused at both the business level, as well as the individual level."
Teaming with Turner + Jostin Construction, FCC looked to partner with an outfit whose primary role was to lead a construction workforce hiring program, connecting individuals to construction job opportunities.
"The team met with many great organizations throughout the city, all with various attributes and skillsets," David Spaulding, Vice President and General Manager of Turner Construction, said. "We're excited that the CityLink Center has been selected to lead this effort."
Liza Smitherman, Vice President of Jostin Construction, added, "CityLink Center's location in the West End community, its wrap-around services and their past success in creating job opportunity programs in other markets provided us with a great framework to make this selection."
Cincinnati's construction industry has grown tremendously in recent years and is not expected to slow down.
"We see FC Cincinnati's West End Stadium project as a significant platform to connect people to new career opportunities and a new path forward," shared Johnmark Oudersluys, Director of the CityLink Center. "We wanted to create a program that is sustainable not only for the relatively short-term FCC project, but for the long-term investment in the industry. Sharing awareness, education, and connecting people to opportunities previously believed to be out of reach are the highlights of our work.
"With our integrated approach and amazing partner agencies, we can support our neighbors realize their full potential on a holistic level," Oudersluys added.
Preliminary construction activities have just started within the project's site boundaries.
The construction management team of Turner + Jostin have spent the past few months reviewing contractors' proposals and awarding contracts for the preliminary site work.
"The development of the project is in a phased approach such that specific activities are able to begin while the design of the stadium is still underway," Spaulding added. "As we continue to bring on specific trade contractors, the number of workers on site will begin to increase and job opportunities will begin to develop. It will be a gradual ramp-up, and we will eventually have more than 200 people on-site during a 12-month period, peaking around 350 people at the height of construction."
For more information about potential work and career opportunities at the West End Stadium site, please visit the First Source website at firstsourceoperator.com or contact FirstSource at 513-357-2000.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 11, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: April 11, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- City's Attack Finds Contributions from Multiple Figures - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Acquires $400K in TAM from LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- Toronto FC Acquires First Round Pick in 2020 MLS SuperDraft from Los Angeles Galaxy - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Giancarlo Gonzalez - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC to Wear Parley Kits on April 21 against LAFC - Seattle Sounders FC
- MNUFC and Ebbets Field Flannels Present the "L'etoile Du Nord" Collection - Minnesota United FC
- West End Stadium Launches First Source - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United, Major League Soccer Celebrate Earth Day with Fourth Annual Greener Goals Week of Service - Atlanta United FC
- DeLeon Signs Extension with Toronto FC - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Earth Day with Fourth Annual Greener Goals Week of Service - MLS
- FC Cincinnati to Celebrate Earth Day with Special adidas X Parley Uniforms at April 19 Game - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Unveil 2019 Parley for the Oceans Kit, MLS WORKS Greener Goals Initiatives - Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: New York Starts Two-Match Roadtrip, Begins with Sporting KC - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Announce Roster Decisions for the 2021 Season
- Gyau scores first FCC goal as Orange and Blue conclude 2020 MLS season
- Two FC Cincinnati Players Called up to Respective National Teams
- FC Cincinnati Academy Announces Discovery Program Dates
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: November 2, 2020