Smolinski's home run downs IronPigs
(Allentown, Pa) - For the second straight game the Durham Bulls (18-14) scored late to beat the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (19-12), as they won 7-6 on Wednesday afternoon. Jake Smolinski broke up the 6-6 tie in the top of the ninth inning by hitting a go-ahead home run off Tyler Gilbert (0-1).
The Bulls sent 11 batters to the plate in the top of the first inning against JoJo Romero. They scored six runs behind eight hits in the inning. Jake Cronenworth got the inning going by hitting an RBI single that scored Jake Smolinski. Kean Wong, Michael Brosseau and Emilio Bonafacio hit consecutive RBI doubles. Mac James plated the last run of the inning by hitting an RBI single.
Romero didn't finish the inning as he was pulled for Tom Windle with just one out remaining the top of the first.
Jake Faria didn't pitch much better as he was chased out of the game in the second inning. The IronPigs scored five runs in the inning to cut Durham's lead to 6-5. Gift Ngoepe got the scoring started with an RBI single. Rob Brantly and Lane Adams both followed with RBI singles. Adams RBI single extended his hitting streak to 12 games. Deivi Grullon added an RBI groundout for the fifth run of the inning.
Matt McBride tied the game at 6-6 in the bottom of the sixth inning as he hit a solo home run off Luis Santos.
Colin Poche (2-2) earned the win for Durham as he pitched two scoreless innings in relief. Former IronPig pitcher Hoby Milner earned his first save of the season by pitching a scoreless bottom of the ninth inning.
Tom Windle pitched 3 1/3 scoreless innings in relief while Seth McGarry struck out five batters in four innings.
Lehigh Valley and Durham wrap up their series on Thursday night at Coca-Cola Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 8, 2019
- Riley Homers Twice in Gwinnett's 9-2 Win over Buffalo - Gwinnett Stripers
- Red-Hot RailRiders Walk off over Indianapolis - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Travis Doubles Twice in 9-4 Loss to Norfolk - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Fall to Clippers 6-2 on Wednesday Night - Charlotte Knights
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (15-15) at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (16-12) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Gwinnett (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Mets Homer Twice in 6-1 Victory over Bats - Syracuse Mets
- The Last Strike - Indianapolis Indians
- Mets Take Game Two against Bats, 6-1 - Louisville Bats
- Smolinski's home run downs IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders reschedule fleece blanket giveaway promotion - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
- Indians Drop Opener of Trip to SWB, 3-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Lukes home run in 8th sinks IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Make it Six Straight - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.