Sixth Inning Explosion Leads Rochester to Series Split
After being held off the scoreboard in the first four frames of the ballgame, Rochester struck for 11 runs across the fifth, sixth, and seventh innings. The Honkers generated ten hits and were helped by five Willmar errors in the 11-3 victory; earning them a series split.
Trailing 2-0 after four, Rochester got a jolt from one of its top hitters. Jack Colette (San Jose St) delivered a game-tying two-run homer to square the game and shift the momentum. It was the second straight night with a home run for Colette, and the fifth straight game with a Honker homer.
Rochester carried the momentum into a seven run sixth, sending 11 hitters to the plate. The Honkers took the lead on a Jackson Forbes (San Jose St) infield single and proceeded to break the game open. Jack Colette notched RBI three and four on the night with a two-run single, finishing 3-5 with 4 RBI on the night. Rochester would use a pair of Willmar errors to add four more in the inning with Jackson Forbes, Colette, Mac Horvath, (North Carolina) and Ben North (Creighton) coming around to score.
The Honkers piled on two more in the seventh, Otto Grimm (Minnesota) notched his 17th RBI of the summer with a single and came across on a passed ball three batters later.
Casey Trapp (St. John's) improved to 2-0 on the season with a second straight quality start. The sophomore went six innings, allowing three hits, two earned runs, three walks, and tallying three strikeouts.
The Honkers improve to 20-23 on the summer and 5-6 on the second half of the season. They travel to Eau Claire for a weekend series beginning tomorrow before the All-Star Break. First pitch from Carson Park is at 6:35 pm.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 17, 2021
- Stingers Take Game 1 of Series Opener in Bismarck - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Magic Runs Short - Green Bay Booyah
- Rox Fall Late in Waterloo, Keep League's Best Record - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Shut-Out Chinooks in First of Two-Game Set - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Valiant Rally Falls Short, Drop First Game to Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Four Run Sixth Inning Helps MoonDogs Take Game One over Huskies - Duluth Huskies
- Clutch Hits Lead MoonDogs Back to Win Column in Duluth - Mankato MoonDogs
- Woodchucks Efficient in Win over Rafters - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Winning Streak Comes to End for Traverse City - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Mallards Look to Bounce Back in Mequon - Madison Mallards
- Kingfish Split Series with Kokomo - Kenosha Kingfish
- Logan Lee Named to All-Star Team - Green Bay Booyah
- Booyah Welcome Division Leaders - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Head into All-Star Break in 3rd Place After Loss - La Crosse Loggers
- Rivets Stun Growlers in Comeback Win, Split Series - Rockford Rivets
- Growlers Lose Series Finale 7-5 to Rivets - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mankato Falls Victim of Another Two-Game Sweep to Eau Claire - Mankato MoonDogs
- Comeback Kids at It Again - Duluth Huskies
- Booyah Walk-Off Again, Sweep Mallards - Green Bay Booyah
- Sixth Inning Explosion Leads Rochester to Series Split - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Lead Disappears in Narrow Defeat to Chinooks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Battle Back to Earn Series Split against Larks - St. Cloud Rox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.