Six-Run Inning Goes by the Wayside as T's Let Another One Slip Away
ASHEVILLE- In 2018, the Asheville Tourists lost only two games all season when holding a lead after the fifth inning. Saturday night featured the second multi-run lead entering the eighth inning the Tourists have blown in the last six days. Asheville dropped their series opener to the Greenville Drive 9-8.
The Tourists overcame an early 4-1 deficit thanks to a six-run third inning. Asheville sent ten hitters to the plate in the frame and received RBI base hits from Terrin Vavra, Willie MacIver, and Danny Edgeworth. Both teams traded runs in the fourth inning and the Tourists enjoyed an 8-5 lead for the next few innings.
Greenville plated a fortunate run in the sixth inning on a two-out fielding error to climb to within two. In the eighth, the Tourists issued a lead-off walk followed by a two-run game-tying Home Run. The Drive then added a one-out double and a two-out RBI single to take the lead.
Asheville put a pair of runners aboard in the bottom of the ninth but a flyout to deep centerfield ended their hopes of extending the game. last Sunday the Tourists took a 9-5 lead into the eighth inning against Delmarva and fell 10-9. Asheville has now lost six straight at McCormick Field.
Coco Montes led the way offensively with a pair of hits including his first Home Run of the season. MacIver, who was honored pre-game for his SAL Player of the Week Award, also added a pair of hits to the offensive attack. Alfredo Garcia pitched five innings but was denied his first win of the season. The Tourists led by three at the time the lefty exited the game.
Both teams are back in action on Sunday afternoon with game two of the three-game series scheduled for 2:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 11, 2019
- RiverDogs Lose a Heartbreaker in Wild 13 Inning Affair - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Defeats Rome 6-2 in Rain-Shortened Affair - Rome Braves
- Depreta-Johnson Records Win and Gets Walk-Off Hit - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Rally Past Asheville, 9-8, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Rom, 'Birds Blot out Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Overcome Deficit to Walk It off in Eleventh Inning - Lexington Legends
- Six-Run Inning Goes by the Wayside as T's Let Another One Slip Away - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Offense Sputters against Shorebirds - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Opening Thriller Ends in Lexington's Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Anchia Goes Yard Again in 10-7 Loss to Kannapolis - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Wins Rain-Shortened Game on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 11 vs. Rome (Game 34) - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Mother's Day Schedule Change - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 11) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Hoppers Eke out Win over Surging 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Pitching Combines for First Shutout of Season - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Can't Find Offensive Rhythm in Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
- Victory gives Braves consecutive series wins - Rome Braves
- Greenville Falls to Rome on Friday - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.