Columbia Wins Rain-Shortened Game on Saturday
COLUMBIA, SC - Columbia picked up a 6-2 win in a rain-shortened contest against Rome on Saturday night. The game was called after the sixth inning and because the Fireflies held a lead after at least four and a half innings, the game is official. Columbia has now won back-to-back games.
The Fireflies offense took advantage of some control issues from Rome (15-19) starter Trey Riley and southpaw reliever Jake Higginbotham. Four of Columbia's runs initially reached base via either a walk or hit-by-pitch, and a total of nine free bases were issued to Fireflies hitters on the night.
Chandler Avant came up big with a bases-clearing double in the third. Gerson Molina added to the fireworks with a solo home run into left in the fifth, his first dinger as a Mets professional.
Columbia (11-23) starter Thomas Szapucki pitched two scoreless frames and was relieved by Christian James (W, 1-4) in the third. In four innings, James allowed only two runs on three hits and struck out four. The Florida natives combined for a solid performance on the mound, helping the Fireflies to their second win in as many days.
SCHEDULING NOTE: Columbia's doubleheader against Rome has been moved to Monday evening. The Fireflies play one nine-inning game against the Braves on Sunday starting at 2:05 p.m. and play a doubleheader on Monday beginning at 5:35 p.m.
Bottom 1: Hayden Senger hits a sacrifice fly to right field, Ronny Mauricio tags and scores. COL 1, ROM 0
Bottom 3: Gerson Molina is hit by a pitch with bases loaded, Mark Vientos scores ... Chandler Avant doubles into left with the bases loaded, Chase Chambers, Hayden Senger, and Gerson Molina score. COL 5, ROM 0
Top 4: Try Harris singles into center, Greg Cullen scores from second. COL 5, ROM 1
Bottom 5: Gerson Molina hits a solo homer to left. COL 6, ROM 1
Top 6: Andrew Moritz scores on a wild pitch from Christian James. COL 6, ROM2
Columbia will continue its series against Rome on Sunday at 2:05 ET on Sunday. The series will conclude with a double header on Monday evening beginning at 5:35 ET. You can watch every game on MiLB.TV or listen in at FireFliesLivestream.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 11, 2019
- RiverDogs Lose a Heartbreaker in Wild 13 Inning Affair - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Defeats Rome 6-2 in Rain-Shortened Affair - Rome Braves
- Depreta-Johnson Records Win and Gets Walk-Off Hit - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Rally Past Asheville, 9-8, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Rom, 'Birds Blot out Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Overcome Deficit to Walk It off in Eleventh Inning - Lexington Legends
- Six-Run Inning Goes by the Wayside as T's Let Another One Slip Away - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Offense Sputters against Shorebirds - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Opening Thriller Ends in Lexington's Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Anchia Goes Yard Again in 10-7 Loss to Kannapolis - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Wins Rain-Shortened Game on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 11 vs. Rome (Game 34) - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Mother's Day Schedule Change - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 11) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Hoppers Eke out Win over Surging 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Pitching Combines for First Shutout of Season - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Can't Find Offensive Rhythm in Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
- Victory gives Braves consecutive series wins - Rome Braves
- Greenville Falls to Rome on Friday - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies to Host Holiday Themed Virtual 5K; Mason's Jingle Jog
- "Elf" Screening to Play at Segra Park December 4
- Columbia Fireflies Issue Statement on Affiliation Change
- SNL Star, Actor Rob Schneider to Perform at Segra Park
- YouTube Sensation Darren Knight Brings "Southern Momma" to Segra Park