Legends Overcome Deficit to Walk It off in Eleventh Inning
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends were able to overcome a three-run deficit to walk it off over the Augusta Greenjackets in the bottom of the 11th inning. The 5-4 victory improves the Legends to 17-17 on the season while the Greenjackets drop to 16-18.
The Greenjackets struck first in the top of the third inning. Jose Layer lined a leadoff single to left field then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. An RBI single by Munguia brought home Layer and Augusta led, 1-0.
Augusta scored again in the top of the fourth inning. Francisco Tostado led off with a single to centerfield then moved to third on a single by Jacob Gonzalez. Layer's second hit of the night brought home Tostado, extending the Greenjackets' lead 2-0.
In the top of the fifth inning, Ismael Mungiua led off with his second hit of the night then advanced to third on a single by Diego Rincones. Tostado then grounded out to the shortstop, and Munguia was able to score. Augusta led 3-0 after the fifth.
The Legends began to mount the comeback in the bottom of the sixth inning. Michael Gigliotti singled to left field then moved to third on a base knock by Nate Eaton. A groundout to the shortstop brought home Gigliotti and Lexington was on the board, 3-1. Eaton then advanced to third and scored on an RBI single to left field.
Lexington tied the game in the bottom of the seventh inning. Jeison Guzman reached on a fielder's choice then came around to score on an RBI single lined down the right field line by Rubendy Jaquez.
Tied at three runs, the game entered the top of the tenth inning. Jose Layer was placed at second base as the Pace of Play Runner then moved to third on a sacrifice bunt. Munguia then popped up a fly ball in front of the third base dugout. Eaton made the catch on the top step of the dugout, but then went "out of play area" and the Greenjackets were awarded the run from third.
Lexington tied the game in the bottom of the tenth inning. Jeison Guzman was placed at second base as the Pace of Play Runner and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Jaquez. Guzman then scored on a balk by Ryan Walker and the game went into the 11th inning tied, 4-4.
The Legends walked it off in the bottom of the 11th inning. Eric Cole was the Pace of Play Runner at second base and Rohlman joined him on the base path after he was intentionally walked. Freddy Fermin deposited a single to shallow right field, and Cole was able to beat the throw to the plate to score the winning run.
Daniel James was awarded the win, pitching 2.0 innings allowing one run (unearned) on one hit while walking one and striking out two. Soloman Bates was given the loss, allowing the winning run to score.
The Legends and Greenjackets meet for game two tomorrow, May 12 at 2:05pm. LHP Austin Cox (1-3, 4.80 ERA) will face Augusta's LHP Seth Corry (0-1,1.88 ERA).
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Nate Eaton of the Lexington Legends
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 11, 2019
- RiverDogs Lose a Heartbreaker in Wild 13 Inning Affair - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Defeats Rome 6-2 in Rain-Shortened Affair - Rome Braves
- Depreta-Johnson Records Win and Gets Walk-Off Hit - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Rally Past Asheville, 9-8, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Rom, 'Birds Blot out Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Overcome Deficit to Walk It off in Eleventh Inning - Lexington Legends
- Six-Run Inning Goes by the Wayside as T's Let Another One Slip Away - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Offense Sputters against Shorebirds - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Opening Thriller Ends in Lexington's Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Anchia Goes Yard Again in 10-7 Loss to Kannapolis - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Wins Rain-Shortened Game on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 11 vs. Rome (Game 34) - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Mother's Day Schedule Change - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 11) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Hoppers Eke out Win over Surging 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Pitching Combines for First Shutout of Season - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Can't Find Offensive Rhythm in Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
- Victory gives Braves consecutive series wins - Rome Braves
- Greenville Falls to Rome on Friday - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Brooks Conrad Returns to Manage Reigning South Atlantic League Champions
- Lexington Legends Receive Bob Freitas Award as Top Single A Organization by Baseball America
- Tickets on Sale Now for Nitro Circus and First Athletes Announced
- Lexington Legends Praise Congressional Effort
- Lexington Legends and Bowling Green Hot Rods Announce 2020 Game at Whitaker Bank Ballpark