Depreta-Johnson Records Win and Gets Walk-Off Hit
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads came out on top 4-3 over the Charleston RiverDogs on Saturday night in a wild thirteen inning game that saw a steal of home, and a position player pitching and hitting a walk-off single.
The 'Dads got the first run of the game, in the first inning. Pedro Gonzalez singled to center and advanced to third on a single by Miguel Aparicio. The Crawdads perfectly executed a double steal, with Gonzalez stealing home to make the score 1-0.
The RiverDogs scored a pair in the second to take a 2-1 lead that held until the bottom of the ninth.
The Crawdads led off the ninth with a triple by Matt Whatley. Whatley dashed home on a wild pitch to tie the game up at two.
The teams traded runs in the twelfth inning to make the score 3-3. In the home half of the inning, Ornelas started the inning on second base and advanced to third on a fly out by Sherten Apostel. Gonzalez hit a sacrifice fly to bring him in to score.
The 'Dads sent everyone home in the bottom of the thirteenth with a walk-off single. Aparicio started off the inning with a sacrifice bunt to advance Gardner, the designated runner on second, to third. Tyler Depreta Johnson, the starting second baseman who pitched the last two innings, hit a bunt single that scored the charging Gardner. The hit was Depreta-Johnson's first as a Crawdad. He also was winning pitcher.
Tomorrow afternoon the Crawdads will be hosting their annual Mother's Day Celebration thanks to Academy Sports & Outdoors and KICKS 103.3. The team will wear specialty Crawmoms jerseys and hats. Players will also use pink bats that will be up for auction during the game via the Live Source app. The first 100 moms will receive a carnation courtesy of Whitfield's Flowers and More. It is also Church Bulletin Sunday and fans who bring in a church bulletin can receive a discounted $6 ticket thanks to PDQ. The Crawdads will then donate $4 back to that bulletin's respective church.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 11, 2019
- RiverDogs Lose a Heartbreaker in Wild 13 Inning Affair - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Defeats Rome 6-2 in Rain-Shortened Affair - Rome Braves
- Depreta-Johnson Records Win and Gets Walk-Off Hit - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Rally Past Asheville, 9-8, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Rom, 'Birds Blot out Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Overcome Deficit to Walk It off in Eleventh Inning - Lexington Legends
- Six-Run Inning Goes by the Wayside as T's Let Another One Slip Away - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Offense Sputters against Shorebirds - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Opening Thriller Ends in Lexington's Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Anchia Goes Yard Again in 10-7 Loss to Kannapolis - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Wins Rain-Shortened Game on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 11 vs. Rome (Game 34) - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Mother's Day Schedule Change - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 11) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Hoppers Eke out Win over Surging 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Pitching Combines for First Shutout of Season - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Can't Find Offensive Rhythm in Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
- Victory gives Braves consecutive series wins - Rome Braves
- Greenville Falls to Rome on Friday - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.