Greenville Falls to Rome on Friday
ROME, Ga. - The Greenville Drive dropped the series finale to the Rome Braves, 10-3, on Friday night at State Mutual Stadium.
Rome grabbed the lead with lone runs in the first and second innings. A sac fly by Andrew Moritz scored Justin Dean in the first. An RBI single to left by Jose Bermudez brought in Logan Brown in the second, giving the Braves a 2-0 lead.
Greenville tied with two in the top of the third. With the bases loaded and one out, an RBI groundout by Jordan Wren followed by an RBI single by Triston Casas tied the game at 2-2.
The Braves then broke it open with four runs in the third. With bases loaded and two outs, Brown singled to left, scoring two, and Griffin Benson doubled to right to score two more to make it a 6-2 game.
Rome tacked on one in the fourth, two in the sixth and another in the seventh. Dean tripled to left to open the fourth and Moritz scored him with his second sac fly of the game. A bases-loaded walk and a wild pitch added two in the sixth, while another bases-loaded walk in the seventh tacked on one more to give the home team a 10-2 advantage.
Greenville added a final run in the ninth. A two-out, RBI single for Tyler Esplin drove in the third Drive run of the game.
Jose Olague (3-3) earned the win, allowing two runs on seven hits in 5.0 innings pitched with one walk and one strikeout to his credit. Yasel Santana (0-3) suffered the loss, allowing six runs (one earned) on four hits with three walks against one strikeout in 2.2 innings pitched.
Devlin Granberg led the Drive at the plate, reaching base four times with two hits and two walks. Alan Marrero added two hits as well, as eight of the nine hitters in the Drive order recorded a hit.
The Drive opens a three-game series at Asheville on Saturday, set for a 6:05 p.m. first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 11, 2019
- RiverDogs Lose a Heartbreaker in Wild 13 Inning Affair - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Defeats Rome 6-2 in Rain-Shortened Affair - Rome Braves
- Depreta-Johnson Records Win and Gets Walk-Off Hit - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Rally Past Asheville, 9-8, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Rom, 'Birds Blot out Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Overcome Deficit to Walk It off in Eleventh Inning - Lexington Legends
- Six-Run Inning Goes by the Wayside as T's Let Another One Slip Away - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Offense Sputters against Shorebirds - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Opening Thriller Ends in Lexington's Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Anchia Goes Yard Again in 10-7 Loss to Kannapolis - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Wins Rain-Shortened Game on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 11 vs. Rome (Game 34) - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Mother's Day Schedule Change - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 11) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Hoppers Eke out Win over Surging 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Pitching Combines for First Shutout of Season - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Can't Find Offensive Rhythm in Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
- Victory gives Braves consecutive series wins - Rome Braves
- Greenville Falls to Rome on Friday - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.