Series Opening Thriller Ends in Lexington's Favor
North Augusta, SC: In an extra-inning thriller with plenty of stressful moments, the Lexington Legends (17-17) were able to walk away with a series opening win on a Freddy Fermin RBI-single. The GreenJackets (16-18) have now lost four-straight.
Jake Wong began his outing allowing a hit in the bottom of the 1st. It was the first hit that he has allowed since April 24th, after he had gone the last 12 innings without giving up a hit.
In the 2nd inning, the GreenJackets scored their first run of the night on an Ismael Munguia RBI single. It was Munguia's 10th RBI of 2019 and he extends his hitting streak to four games as he finishes the night 2-5, R, RBI.
The GreenJackets added another run in the 4th inning when Jose Layer singled and scored Frankie Tostado. Layer picked-up an RBI for the 2nd night in-a-row.
In the 5th inning, it was a Tostado fielder's choice that scored another run to extend the lead to 3-0. Jake Wong continued his brilliance on the mound. After 17 innings of shutout baseball on the mound, Lexington scored twice on Wong in the 6th inning.
An RBI-groundout for Eric Cole, and an RBI single for Reed Rohlman made it just a 3-2 GreenJackets lead. Wong ends up going six innings for the 3rd straight game, allowing two runs and striking out four.
In the 7th inning, an error cost the GreenJackets. Tostado was unable to handle a groundball and it allowed Eric Cole to reach base. He would later score in the inning on an RBI for Rubendy Jaquez to tie the game at three.
Josh Dye stymied the GreenJackets bats out of the Lexington bullpen. He went three innings without allowing a run and we went to extra-innings. In the 10th, with Jose Layer on 3rd base, 3rd baseman Nate Eaton caught a fly-ball right in front of the Augusta dugout. As he caught it, he barely slid into the GreenJackets dugout, and he was out of play, allowing Layer to score from 3rd base.
With the GreenJackets leading 4-3, Lexington tied the game at four on a balk from Ryan Walker. The score was tied at four in the 11th, and the GreenJackets loaded the bases with one out. Daniel James was able to work around it for two strikeouts and get out of the jam.
In the home-half of the 11th, after an intentional walk put runners on 1st and 2nd base, Freddy Fermin singled into right field for Lexington. Mikey Edie came up throwing but Angulo couldn't catch it at the plate, and Eric Cole scored from 2nd base as Lexington walked-it-off with a 5-4 win.
Tomorrow's Game: 2:05 PM @ Whitaker Bank Ballpark, Lexington, Kentucky
Pitching Matchup: (AUG) LHP Seth Corry (0-1, 1.88 ERA) vs (LEX) LHP Austin Cox (1-3, 4.80 ERA)
Southpaws take the mound in Game #2 of the series between the GreenJackets and Legends. For Augusta, Seth Corry will make his 7th start of the season. Corry is coming off an outing where he made it just 4.1 innings on the mound. He did pile up 7 strikeouts for the 4th time this year. Last time he faced Lexington at SRP Park on May 1st, he went a career high 5.1 innings while allowing only two runs. Corry is ranked as the #25 prospect in the San Francisco Giants organization according to MLB.com.
Austin Cox makes his 7th start of the year, and his 2nd against the GreenJackets in 2019. He opposed Corry on May 1st, and in that outing, he also went 5.1 innings while allowing four runs on five hits and he received the loss. After Cox's 1st three starts, he had an ERA of 2.40. In his last three starts, he has an ERA of 7.20. Cox is ranked as the #22 Prospect in the Kansas City Royals organization according to MLB.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 11, 2019
- RiverDogs Lose a Heartbreaker in Wild 13 Inning Affair - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Defeats Rome 6-2 in Rain-Shortened Affair - Rome Braves
- Depreta-Johnson Records Win and Gets Walk-Off Hit - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Rally Past Asheville, 9-8, on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Rom, 'Birds Blot out Suns - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Overcome Deficit to Walk It off in Eleventh Inning - Lexington Legends
- Six-Run Inning Goes by the Wayside as T's Let Another One Slip Away - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Offense Sputters against Shorebirds - Hagerstown Suns
- Series Opening Thriller Ends in Lexington's Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Anchia Goes Yard Again in 10-7 Loss to Kannapolis - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Wins Rain-Shortened Game on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 11 vs. Rome (Game 34) - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Mother's Day Schedule Change - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (May 11) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- 'Hoppers Eke out Win over Surging 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Pitching Combines for First Shutout of Season - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Can't Find Offensive Rhythm in Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
- Victory gives Braves consecutive series wins - Rome Braves
- Greenville Falls to Rome on Friday - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.