Simmons, Swarm Snap Skid over Iowa Wolves
(GREENSBORO, N.C.) - Kobi Simmons scored a team-high 21 points to push the Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Greensboro Swarm, over the Iowa Wolves, 109-99, on Monday at the Fieldhouse at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The victory snaps a 13-game losing streak for Greensboro (5-21).
Simmons had 16 of his points in the first half, helping the Swarm hold a 20-point lead at halftime (68-48). Greensboro shot 55 percent in the first 24 minutes of the game, including 7-of-15 on three-pointers. In addition to leading the Swarm in scoring for the sixth time this season, Simmons' night included six assists, five rebounds and two steals in 29 minutes.
Other strong first half efforts came from Tyler Nelson (12 of his 16 points), Caleb Martin (12 of his 20 points) and Ray Spalding (11 of his 15 points).
Iowa (12-16) responded to the halftime deficit by outscoring the Swarm, 30-19, in the third quarter. Iowa shot 14-for-28 in the quarter and only turned the ball over once. On the defensive side, the Wolves held Greensboro to 29 percent shooting (5-17 FG) and forced five turnovers.
Despite the resiliency of the Wolves, Greensboro's defense in the fourth quarter sealed the win. Iowa was held to 21 points in the final quarter but suffered from nine turnovers which resulted in eight Swarm points.
Iowa was led by Kelan Martin's 23 points and nine rebounds in 36 minutes. James Webb III added 20 points and 14 rebounds. Jordan Murphy (10 points, 11 rebounds) joined Webb with a double-double of his own. Barry Brown Jr. (13 points) and Canyon Barry (11 points) each had double-figure scoring efforts off the bench.
Nelson's 16 points, three rebounds and three steals was top amongst the Swarm reserves. Martin has now scored over 20 points in 11 games this season in the G League. In his debut, two-way player Spalding had five rebounds to go with his 15 points in 28 minutes.
The game on Monday begins the start of a busy week for the Swarm. Greensboro hits the road on Wednesday (at Raptors 905) and Friday (at Delaware Blue Coats) before a Saturday home game (vs. Lakeland Magic) at the Fieldhouse.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 20, 2020
- Stars Take Down Legends - Salt Lake City Stars
- Charge Come up Short in Long Island - Canton Charge
- Simmons, Swarm Snap Skid over Iowa Wolves - Greensboro Swarm
- Legends' Big Comeback Falls Short of the Stars - Texas Legends
- Road Trip Struggles Continue in Greensboro - Iowa Wolves
- Long Island Nets Defeat Canton in Martin Luther King Jr. Day Matinee Game - Long Island Nets
- Blue Coats Top Lakers in Monday Matinee - Delaware Blue Coats
- South Bay Drops Monday Matinee in Delaware - South Bay Lakers
- Cavaliers Sign Tyler Cook to Second 10-Day Contract - Canton Charge
- Erie BayHawks & UPMC Health Plan Announce Plans for Slam Dunk Breast Cancer Game - Erie BayHawks
- Clips Stay Hot, Dethrone Kings - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Greensboro Swarm, Allegacy Federal Credit Union to Recognize Junior Achievement on Theme Jersey
- Bacon Serves Record-Breaking 50 Burger as Greensboro Topples Fort Wayne
- Hornets Assign Dwayne Bacon to Greensboro Swarm
- Greensboro Swarm's Community Heroes Night to be Presented by Truliant Federal Credit Union
- Hornets Recall Caleb Martin & Jalen McDaniels from the Greensboro Swarm