Shuckers Score Late But Fall in Second Straight to Biscuits
MONTGOMERY, AL - The Biloxi Shuckers (76-50, 35-21 2nd Half) broke up a shutout bid with a late run on Monday night at Riverwalk Stadium, but fell to the Montgomery Biscuits (82-45, 38-19 2nd Half) 4-1 in a game they trailed throughout. Despite seven hits on the evening, the Shuckers saw their momentum halted by hitting into four double plays, setting a new single-game high mark.
The Biscuits greeted Dylan File (L, 8-2) with a two-run first inning, jumping to an early lead. Lucius Fox opened the inning with a single and advanced to third on a base hit from Vidal Brujan to put runners on the corners. The pair then executed a double steal, with Fox swiping home for a 1-0 advantage. After a Taylor Walls single, Tristan Gray scored Brujan with a sacrifice fly to make it a 2-0 game.
File rebounded and kept the Biscuits off the board for the next three innings, but the Shuckers offense skidded with inning-ending double plays in the third and fourth while facing Brian Shaffer (W, 4-2).
Gray drove in his second run of the game with an RBI single off File in the fifth, and Rene Pinto tacked on with an RBI double off Justin Topa in the sixth for a 4-0 lead.
Still without a run in the series, Ryan Aguilar and Luis Aviles Jr. drew walks in the eighth against Blake Bivens to put two on for Cooper Hummel. With one out in the inning, Hummel smashed a single into left field, scoring Aguilar to end the shutout bid, and cut the game to 4-1. For Hummel, the base hit provided the first run against Montgomery since May 8, and gave the switch hitter a second straight multi-hit game. C.J. Hinojosa followed by lining into an inning-ending double play and Tyler Zombro (S,10) shut the door with a 1-2-3 ninth inning to secure the save.
The Shuckers continue their series with the Biscuits on Tuesday with first pitch at 6:35 pm. LHP Cameron Roegner (5-4, 4.65) is scheduled to take the mound for Biloxi while Montgomery will throw RHP Joe Ryan (0-0, 6.75). The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App and can be seen on MiLB.TV. Fans can save $10 off their subscription when they use the promo code 'Shuckers' at checkout.
Flex Plans and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. With the 2020 Southern League schedule announced, Shuck Nation Memberships for the 2020 season are also available by visiting the Biloxi Shuckers front office. The Biloxi Shuckers will host Game 1 and Game 2 of the South Division Championship Series on September 4 & 5 at MGM Park. Tickets for all six potential playoff games at MGM Park are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Unroe Stars in Doubleheader Split on Monday Night - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears Retire Final 12 Batters of Game to Top Lookouts - Mobile BayBears
- Late Blast from Shrimp Derail Barons on Monday Night - Birmingham Barons
- Shuckers Score Late But Fall in Second Straight to Biscuits - Biloxi Shuckers
- Garrett & Guzman Blast Barons 3-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Make History, Edge Shuckers, 4-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies Come up Short in a Back-And-Forth Loss to Jackson - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Turn Tables on Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 19 at Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jose Urena Joins Shrimp on Rehab Assignment - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Beasley and Mattson Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Gameday: August 19 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Southern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 12-18 - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.