Late Blast from Shrimp Derail Barons on Monday Night
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - A late inning rally came up just short for the Birmingham Barons (56-67) in their Monday night 3-2 loss to the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (62-64) from Regions Field.
Jacksonville went ahead for good with one big swing of the bat in the sixth inning. With a runner on, outfielder Stone Garrett blasted his 13th homer of the season to deep left off Birmingham starter Bernardo Flores. It gave the Shrimp a 2-1 lead that they never relented.
Trailing by one in the bottom of the ninth, the Barons made it interesting with an RBI single from Blake Rutherford to score Luis Gonzalez and make it 3-2. However, the next batter, Gavin Sheets, grounded out to second to end the game.
In the top of the seventh, Jacksonville's Anfernee Seymour scored from second on a wild pitch and throwing error from Alfredo Gonzalez to make it 3-1.
The Barons struck first in the bottom of the third, with a Luis Gonzalez's sacrifice fly to center field that scored Alfredo Gonzalez.
Even while taking the loss, Flores set a new season-high with eight strikeouts and picked up his third quality start in six complete innings.
It was a tough night for the Barons offense, who finished with just three hits. After Jumbo Shrimp starter Jose Urena, who was finishing his MLB rehab stint, finished his start, right-hander Jorge Guzman fired off seven strong innings of one-run ball and took home his seventh win of the season.
It has been quite a stretch for Luis Gonzalez as of late getting on base and bringing home runs. In his last 18 games, Gonzalez has 18 RBI, 11 runs scored and nine walks during the stretch.
Rutherford's late single made it 14 of his last 16 games with a hit and have him 16 hits in the month of August.
Birmingham will resume their five-game series with the Jumbo Shrimp Tuesday evening, starting at 7:05 p.m. CT. Left-hander John Parke (3-3, 2.47) will take the hill and make his 11th start of the season.
WJQX-FM 100.5 will be the home of the Barons on Tuesday. Fans can tune into the Coca-Cola Pregame Show starting at 6:50 p.m. CT.
The Birmingham Barons are the proud Double-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. The Barons will open the home portion of their 2019 season, which celebrates the 25th anniversary of Michael Jordan's lone year in baseball, against the Tennessee Smokies at 7:05 p.m. April 10 at Regions Field. For ticket information, game schedule, promotions calendar or additional information about Regions Field, please visit barons.com or call (205) 988-3200.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Unroe Stars in Doubleheader Split on Monday Night - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears Retire Final 12 Batters of Game to Top Lookouts - Mobile BayBears
- Late Blast from Shrimp Derail Barons on Monday Night - Birmingham Barons
- Shuckers Score Late But Fall in Second Straight to Biscuits - Biloxi Shuckers
- Garrett & Guzman Blast Barons 3-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Make History, Edge Shuckers, 4-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies Come up Short in a Back-And-Forth Loss to Jackson - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Turn Tables on Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 19 at Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jose Urena Joins Shrimp on Rehab Assignment - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Beasley and Mattson Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Gameday: August 19 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Southern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 12-18 - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Barons Stories
- Robert Joins List of Former Barons to Win Rawlings Gold Glove Award
- Barons Pace Southern League in Attendance as 2019 Season Concludes
- Barons Win Final Home Series in Dominant Afternoon
- Sheets' Sac Fly Sends Barons Past Shuckers in Extras
- Stellar Pitching Aids Barons Swift Comeback