Garrett & Guzman Blast Barons 3-2
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (62-64, 33-23) fell to the Birmingham Barons (56-67, 29-25) by a 3-2 score in the second game of the five-game series at Regions Field on Monday night.
Jacksonville right-handed relief pitcher Jorge Guzman (7-10) earned the victory. Guzman turned in seven innings where he allowed one run on one hit with two walks and four strikeouts. Birmingham left-handed starting pitcher Bernardo Flores (3-7) took the loss, working six innings where he allowed two runs (both earned) on seven hits with no walks and eight strikeouts. Jacksonville right-handed relief pitcher Tommy Eveld got the final outs ninth to earn his ninth save of the season.
Miami Marlins right-handed pitcher Jose Urena started the game as part of his major league rehab assignment, getting two quick fly ball outs as well as a ground out for a perfect bottom of the first, throwing 11 pitches with eight strikes.
The game was scoreless until the bottom of the third. Birmingham's Luis Gonzalez flied into a sacrifice fly double play as he brought home Alfredo Gonzalez from third before Luis Valenzuela was out at third base to end the inning with the Barons up 1-0. Jacksonville went in front in the top of the sixth inning thanks to a two-run home run by Stone Garrett down the left field line to give the Shrimp a 2-1 advantage. An inning later in the top of the seventh, Anfernee Seymour scored from second base on a wild pitch combined with a throwing error by Barons catcher Gonzalez to give the Shrimp a 3-1 lead.
Birmingham added a run in the bottom of the ninth on an RBI single by Blake Rutherford, but the next batter Gavin Sheets grounded out to second to end the game in a Jacksonville 3-2 win.
The Jumbo Shrimp and Barons will continue their series with the third game of the five-game set at Regions Field on Tuesday night at 8:05 p.m. eastern. Right-handed pitcher Sixto Sanchez (6-10, 3.62 ERA) will start for Jacksonville against Birmingham left-handed pitcher John Parke (3-3, 2.47 ERA). Fans can listen to the game on the Jumbo Shrimp Network presented by Community First, beginning at 7:50 p.m. eastern with the pregame show "Shrimp On Deck" locally on Sunny 102.3 FM, on the TuneIn Radio app, and www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Unroe Stars in Doubleheader Split on Monday Night - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears Retire Final 12 Batters of Game to Top Lookouts - Mobile BayBears
- Late Blast from Shrimp Derail Barons on Monday Night - Birmingham Barons
- Shuckers Score Late But Fall in Second Straight to Biscuits - Biloxi Shuckers
- Garrett & Guzman Blast Barons 3-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Make History, Edge Shuckers, 4-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies Come up Short in a Back-And-Forth Loss to Jackson - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Turn Tables on Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 19 at Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jose Urena Joins Shrimp on Rehab Assignment - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Beasley and Mattson Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Gameday: August 19 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Southern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 12-18 - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Jumbo Shrimp to Host Swing for Your Seats on September 19
- Jumbo Shrimp Win Southern League Promotional Trophy; O'Brien Earns Sports Media Award
- Tommy Eveld Named BC S.L. Relief Pitcher of Month for August
- Jacksonville's Season Ends with 2-1 Loss
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 31 at Jackson