Biscuits Make History, Edge Shuckers, 4-1
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Biscuits (82-45) beat the Biloxi Shuckers (76-50), 4-1, on Monday night, and sealed their 82nd win of the season-the most in team history-edging out the 2007 squad that finished the year 81-59. The 2007 Biscuits were the last to win a Southern League Championship.
Ryan Thompson opened for the Biscuits on bullpen day and was outstanding, retiring all six batters he faced between the first and second innings, striking out Cooper Hummel, C.J. Hinojosa, Jake Gatewood, and Bruce Caldwell consecutively, before handing things over to Brian Shaffer (4-2).
The Biscuits would strike first against Biloxi starter Dylan File (8-2) with a perfectly-executed executed double steal of second and home by Vidal Brujan and Lucius Fox after the pair singled to begin the game. Tristan Gray would add a sac fly after a Taylor Walls single and the Biscuits led 2-0 at the end of one.
File would settle down after that, but in the fifth, the righty allowed an RBI-single to Gray to make it a 3-0 game. This, after a controversial play at the plate that saw Brujan thrown out of the game for arguing with home plate umpire Austin Jones.
Shaffer struck out four over four innings of work, and ran the Biscuits' consecutive-scoreless innings streak to 34 midway through the sixth. Rene Pinto added another run for the Butter and Blue on an RBI-double in sixth.
Blake Bivens entered in the seventh and kept the shutout intact, extending the consecutive-scoreless streak against the Shuckers to 35, before allowing an RBI-single to Cooper Hummel in eighth. Tyler Zombro then came on in the ninth, and after ringing up Jake Gatewood and Bruce Caldwell, the righty got Weston Wilson to groundout to clinch the historic victory.
The Biscuits, who still have 13 games to go in the regular season, will try to add to their historic win total and go for the series victory on Tuesday when Joe Ryan (0-0) takes on Cam Roegner (5-4) at 6:35 PM CT.
The rest of the home stand will include a Military Card Set Giveaway presented by Golden Corral on Wednesday, August 21 and Wrestling Night featuring a T-Shirt Giveaway on Thursday, August 22.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Unroe Stars in Doubleheader Split on Monday Night - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears Retire Final 12 Batters of Game to Top Lookouts - Mobile BayBears
- Late Blast from Shrimp Derail Barons on Monday Night - Birmingham Barons
- Shuckers Score Late But Fall in Second Straight to Biscuits - Biloxi Shuckers
- Garrett & Guzman Blast Barons 3-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits Make History, Edge Shuckers, 4-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies Come up Short in a Back-And-Forth Loss to Jackson - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Turn Tables on Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 19 at Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jose Urena Joins Shrimp on Rehab Assignment - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Beasley and Mattson Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Gameday: August 19 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Southern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 12-18 - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- See You at Riverwalk this Week for Happy Hour, Tailgates, 5Ks, and More
- Beat the Heat, Hang out in the Club Car Bar
- Biscuits 2020 Season Cancelled
- Biscuits Charitable Foundation and Bama-Q TV to Stream Community Fundraiser
- Biscuits Serve Special Blend of Promotions in the Year of Chicken