Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Austin Spurs 87-84
SANTA CRUZ, CA -The Santa Cruz Warriors (18-6) defeated the Austin Spurs (12-13) 87-84 tonight at the H-E-B Center in Cedar Park, Texas, giving the team six wins in their last seven games. The Warriors scored 30 points off 25 Spurs turnovers, with all 10 Sea Dubs collecting at least one steal for 15 total takeaways tonight.
Warriors center Deyonta Davis led the team with 17 points on 8-of-11 from the field to go along with eight rebounds. Forward Kevin Young logged 10 points and 11 rebounds in 21 minutes off the bench, his second double-double of the season. Forward Juan Toscano-Anderson chipped in eight points, 11 rebounds and a team-high three steals, including two to secure tonight's win.
San Antonio Spurs forward Chimezie Metu, currently on assignment in Austin, recorded 23 points, 13 rebounds and three blocks tonight in a game-high 31 minutes. Spurs swingman Lonnie Walker IV, who is also on assignment in Austin, notched 12 points and seven rebounds for the defending 2017-18 NBA G League Champions.
The Warriors took a 22-18 lead in the first quarter thanks to 16 of the team's points coming from the painted area. Santa Cruz continued getting into the lane and cleaning up the offensive glass in the second, totaling 30 points in the paint and nine offensive rebounds as the visitors took a 53-43 lead at halftime.
After connecting on five three-pointers in the first half (5-of-11 3FG, 45.5 percent), Santa Cruz couldn't hit another three for the rest of the night (0-of-6 3FG), allowing Austin to go on an 11-1 run in the third quarter and 7-0 run in the fourth to tie the game at 80-80 with five minutes left.
After coach Aaron Miles called timeout, Kevin Young responded with a block on Spurs forward John Holland and a reverse dunk in transition to regain the Warriors lead. Juan Toscano-Anderson's two steals off Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV and free throw gave the visitors a three-point lead with 3.7 seconds remaining, with Walker IV's three missing the mark as time expired to finalize Austin's fourth consecutive loss.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will conclude their two-week Texas road trip this Saturday, January 12 against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (tip-off 5:00 p.m. PST) at Bert Ogden Arena. The Warriors will return to Santa Cruz for a rematch with the Austin Spurs next Wednesday, January 16 (tip-off 7:00 p.m. PST), with the first 1,500 fans in attendance receiving a Splash Brothers bobblehead. For tickets to all Warriors home games, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Clippers Drop Close One against Hustle - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Balanced Magic Hold off Legends - Lakeland Magic
- Hustle Prevail over Clippers in Tight Contest - Memphis Hustle
- Windy City Defeats Wisconsin 124-101 for Their Ninth Consecutive Victory - Windy City Bulls
- Vipers Strike for 123 vs. Westchester, Extend Win Streak to 6 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Vipers Rout Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Johnson's Buzzer-Beater Lifts Fort Wayne to Comeback Victory against Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- NAZ Suns to Host High School Games Before Taking on Blue Coats on February 2 - Northern Arizona Suns
- Wolves Add Jaylen Johnson to Roster - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Kyle Washington - Windy City Bulls
- Westchester Knicks Waive Phil Carr - Westchester Knicks
- Blue Surges Past Stars - Oklahoma City Blue
- Blue Defeat Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Austin Spurs Fall to Santa Cruz Warriors 87-84 - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Austin Spurs 87-84 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Recovery Resource Center at Kaiser Permanente Arena to Reduce Hours
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Become Recovery Resource Center for Victims Affected by the Czu Lightning Complex Fire
- Santa Cruz Warriors Awarded 2019-20 NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for Sea Dub Classics Program
- Santa Cruz Warriors Raise over $5,000 for Community Foundation Santa Cruz County COVID-19 Local Response Fund