Austin Spurs Fall to Santa Cruz Warriors 87-84
AUSTIN, Texas (Jan. 10, 2019) - The Austin Spurs (12-13), presented by SWBC, fell to the Santa Cruz Warriors (18-6), 87-84, at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park Thursday evening.
San Antonio Spurs assignee Chimezie Metu paced the Silver and Black with a double-double of 23 points (9-16 FG) and 13 rebounds, while fellow assignee Lonnie Walker IV chipped in 12 points.
Strong defense fostered a competitive first half with six lead changes and two ties. The Warriors were able to stretch their lead to as many as 14 points, but a late push by the Silver and Black resulted in 53-43 Warriors lead heading into halftime.
The Spurs continued their comeback effort in the second half, outscoring Santa Cruz by four in the third and cutting the Warriors lead to just six heading into the fourth.
Austin completed their comeback with five minutes left in the contest, tying the game at 80-80. A late three pointer from Nick Johnson put the Spurs within striking distance in the last moment of the game, but the Santa Cruz Warriors would hold on to win 87-84.
For Santa Cruz, Kevin Young contributed a double-double of 10 points (5-7 FG) and 11 boards. Deytona Davis led Warriors scoring with 17 points (8-11 FG).
The Silver and Black will be in Stockton, California Sunday, Jan. 13 at 1:00 p.m. to take on the Kings. For tickets, broadcasts, or the full season schedule, visit www.austinspurs.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Clippers Drop Close One against Hustle - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Balanced Magic Hold off Legends - Lakeland Magic
- Hustle Prevail over Clippers in Tight Contest - Memphis Hustle
- Windy City Defeats Wisconsin 124-101 for Their Ninth Consecutive Victory - Windy City Bulls
- Vipers Strike for 123 vs. Westchester, Extend Win Streak to 6 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Vipers Rout Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Johnson's Buzzer-Beater Lifts Fort Wayne to Comeback Victory against Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- NAZ Suns to Host High School Games Before Taking on Blue Coats on February 2 - Northern Arizona Suns
- Wolves Add Jaylen Johnson to Roster - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Kyle Washington - Windy City Bulls
- Westchester Knicks Waive Phil Carr - Westchester Knicks
- Blue Surges Past Stars - Oklahoma City Blue
- Blue Defeat Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Austin Spurs Fall to Santa Cruz Warriors 87-84 - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Austin Spurs 87-84 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.