Johnson's Buzzer-Beater Lifts Fort Wayne to Comeback Victory against Erie
Fort Wayne, Ind. - The Fort Wayne Mad Ants (13-11) defeated the Erie BayHawks (11-12), 120-119, at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum on Friday night.
After Fort Wayne rallied from an 18-point deficit, Omari Johnson's fadeaway as time expired in regulation, propelled the Mad Ants to its fourth win in five games to tip off the new year. Johnson finished the night with 20 points and 14 rebounds for his first double-double of the season.
Johnson was set up for the game winner after Davon Reed rejected Atlanta Hawks two-way forward Alex Poythress at the rim with 12 seconds to go in the final quarter.
Poythress, the former Fort Wayne Mad Ant, capped his night with 34 points, 28 coming in the first half. Friday was only his third game of the season with Erie.
Stephan Hicks and Rob Gray led the Mad Ants with 22 points each to erase the deficit for its eighth win at the Coliseum this season.
Gray scored eight-consecutive points in the fourth quarter to give the Mad Ants its first lead of the second half with 4:25 to go in the game.
Pacers assignee Ike Anigbogu totaled his seventh double-double of the season with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
Jordan Sibert and Isaac Humphries registered 26 and 23 points to give Fort Wayne all they could handle. Sibert finished the first half with 18 points on 5-of-10 shooting from beyond the arc.
John Gillon pitched in 13 points and 13 assists in over 40 minutes of action for Erie.
The Mad Ants return home on Monday night to take on Agua Caliente, while Erie will take on Raptors 905 on Sunday.
Monday is "Money Monday" presented by 3Rivers Federal Credit Union at the Coliseum. Tickets are available by visiting ftwaynemadants.com or calling 260-469-4667.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Clippers Drop Close One against Hustle - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Balanced Magic Hold off Legends - Lakeland Magic
- Hustle Prevail over Clippers in Tight Contest - Memphis Hustle
- Windy City Defeats Wisconsin 124-101 for Their Ninth Consecutive Victory - Windy City Bulls
- Vipers Strike for 123 vs. Westchester, Extend Win Streak to 6 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Vipers Rout Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Johnson's Buzzer-Beater Lifts Fort Wayne to Comeback Victory against Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- NAZ Suns to Host High School Games Before Taking on Blue Coats on February 2 - Northern Arizona Suns
- Wolves Add Jaylen Johnson to Roster - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Kyle Washington - Windy City Bulls
- Westchester Knicks Waive Phil Carr - Westchester Knicks
- Blue Surges Past Stars - Oklahoma City Blue
- Blue Defeat Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Austin Spurs Fall to Santa Cruz Warriors 87-84 - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Austin Spurs 87-84 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas
- Advisory: Saturday's Weather Forecast
- Mad Ants Secure Fifth Win in Six Games
- Johnson's Buzzer-Beater Lifts Fort Wayne to Comeback Victory against Erie
- RECAP: Mad Ants Take Control of Kings, Move Back into Central Division Lead