Balanced Magic Hold off Legends
The Lakeland Magic, NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, defeat the Texas Legends 106-100, in a close finish at the RP Funding Center.
The Magic pulled ahead early and were up by as many as 19 points in the quarter to take a 13 point (33-20) lead into the second. The early Magic lead was largely in part to BJ Johnson's hot hand with 12 points in 7:05 minutes played. The Legends were 30 percent from the field compared to the Magic's 76.5 percent.
The Legends fought back in the second quarter outscoring the Magic 27-22. Daryl Macon was a key factor off the bench for Texas and scored 10 points in the second quarter alone. The Magic would take an eight point lead into the locker room at the half with the score 55-47.
The Legends kept the momentum going in the third quarter to cut the Magic lead to just four points (78-74) entering the fourth quarter. The Magic would regain control in the fourth quarter increasing the lead to ten points (98-88) with 1:44 left in the game on a four point play by Braian Angola. A clutch three point shot by Keith Hornsby would put the Legends down by just four points with 35.6 seconds remaining, but the Magic held on to the lead for the final score 106-100.
For the Magic, Amile Jefferson had his fourteenth double-double of the season with 22 points, 14 rebounds and 6 assists. BJ Johnson had 19 points and 5 rebounds. Troy Caupain had 18 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists on the night. Braian Angola contributed 14 points and 5 rebounds. Devin Davis came off the bench to post 12 points and 5 rebounds. Assignment Player, Melvin Frazier had 10 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists.
Assignment Player, Ray Spalding had a double-double for the Legends with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Daryl Bacon scored 16 points with 6 assists. Kostas Antetokounmpo had 16 points and 4 rebounds. Justin Dentmon scored 13 points and Assignment Player, Wade Baldwin IV had 12 points.
The Magic are back home again on Tuesday, January 15. The game will be at the RP Funding Center at 11:00AM, as the Magic face off against the Capital City Go-Go.
Lakeland Magic single game tickets and group tickets are available now. For ticket information, visit lakelandmagic.com or call 863.825.3258.
Amile Jefferson 22 points, 14 rebounds
BJ Johnson 19 points
Troy Caupain 18 points
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Clippers Drop Close One against Hustle - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Balanced Magic Hold off Legends - Lakeland Magic
- Hustle Prevail over Clippers in Tight Contest - Memphis Hustle
- Windy City Defeats Wisconsin 124-101 for Their Ninth Consecutive Victory - Windy City Bulls
- Vipers Strike for 123 vs. Westchester, Extend Win Streak to 6 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Vipers Rout Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Johnson's Buzzer-Beater Lifts Fort Wayne to Comeback Victory against Erie - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- NAZ Suns to Host High School Games Before Taking on Blue Coats on February 2 - Northern Arizona Suns
- Wolves Add Jaylen Johnson to Roster - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Bulls Acquire Kyle Washington - Windy City Bulls
- Westchester Knicks Waive Phil Carr - Westchester Knicks
- Blue Surges Past Stars - Oklahoma City Blue
- Blue Defeat Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Austin Spurs Fall to Santa Cruz Warriors 87-84 - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Austin Spurs 87-84 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakeland Magic Stories
- Lakeland Magic Forward Amile Jefferson Named to All-NBA G League Third Team
- Lakeland Secures Appearance in Eastern Conference Finals
- Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award
- Lakeland Secures Round One Bye and Home Game in NBA G League Playoffs
- Magic Take Down 905 in Regular Season Finale