Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Salt Lake City Stars 106-97, Extend Win Streak to Five Games
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (21-6) held on to beat the Salt Lake City Stars (13-13) 106-97 tonight at Kaiser Permanente Arena. The Warriors have now won five straight games and nine of their last ten.
Golden State Warriors guard Jacob Evans III, currently on assignment in Santa Cruz, scored a career-high 18 points on 8-of-11 from the field (72.7 percent) in 24 minutes. Six Warriors scored in double figures tonight, including two-way players Damion Lee and Marcus Derrickson collecting 14 and 12 points, respectively.
New Orleans Pelicans two-way guard Trevon Bluiett, currently on assignment with the Stars, led the visitors with 24 points on 8-of-16 from the field. Salt Lake City guard Isaiah Cousins had 18 points and five steals, and reserve guard Trey Lewis had 15 points.
Santa Cruz started the night shooting four-of-six from three (66.7 percent) to take a 12-point lead in the first. The Warriors built up a 23-point lead by going 10-of-12 to end the second period to take a 60-39 halftime lead.
The Warriors held the stars to 27.8 percent shooting in the third period (5-of-18 FG) as the team built their lead up to 28, 88-60 after three. Bluiett's 11 points in the fourth brought the game to within single digits, but Salt Lake City ran out of time as Santa Cruz secured the 106-97 victory.
The Warriors will embark on a three-game road trip starting in Oklahoma City (20-8) as the two best teams by record face off on this Sunday, January 20 at 12:00 p.m. PST. The Warriors will return to Santa Cruz next Sunday, January 27 (5:00 p.m. PST, NBC Sports Bay Area) to host the South Bay Lakers for the team's first Latinx Heritage Night at Kaiser Permanente Arena. For tickets to next Sunday's home game, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - Erie BayHawks
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - G League
- Iowa Falls Short in Austin - Iowa Wolves
- Capital City Stunned by Wisconsin in Final Minutes - Capital City Go-Go
- Allen Dishes Career-High to Help Sever Skid, 105-96 - Westchester Knicks
- Charge Broil Red Claws - Canton Charge
- Magic Capitalize on Slow Start from Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Lose Lead Late to Charge - Maine Red Claws
- 905 Sting Swarm - Raptors 905
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Skyforce Game Postponed - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Warriors Defeat Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Salt Lake City Stars 106-97, Extend Win Streak to Five Games - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Solomon's Dunk Sends Oklahoma City over Iowa - Oklahoma City Blue
- McRae Erupts for 54 in Capital City's Win over Maine - Capital City Go-Go
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Warriors Conclude 2018-19 Season with Defeat to Rio Grande Valley Vipers, 144-125
- Santa Cruz Warriors Advance to Western Conference Finals, Beat the Blue 117-102
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz
- Warriors Beat Agua Caliente Clippers 113-109, Match Best Record in NBA G League