Magic Capitalize on Slow Start from Mad Ants
Fort Wayne, Ind. - The Lakeland Magic (16-10), defeated the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (14-13) 107-92, at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum on Saturday night.
All five starters for Lakeland scored in double figures to snap Fort Wayne's four-game winning streak at home. Troy Caupain led the Magic with 11 of his team-high 24 points coming in the fourth quarter. Amile Jefferson finished with 21 points on 7-of-11 shooting and 10 rebounds.
Pacers two-way guard Edmond Sumner chipped in his fourth straight game recording at least 29 points. Sumner shot a 40 percent clip from the floor and grabbed four rebounds.
Stephan Hicks and Omari Johnson were the only other Mad Ant players to finish in double figures with 17 points each.
Johnson knocked down his first three-point shot in the third quarter, making him the fourth player in NBA G League history with 500 made shots from beyond the arc. Andre Ingram (744), Moses Ehambe (537) and Blake Ahearn (523) are the only other players to surpass the perimeter plateau.
Fort Wayne fell victim to another slow start only making seven made shots in the first quarter. The Mad Ants would keep the deficit below 10 during the second quarter, but could never rally back for a lead before heading to the locker room.
Lakeland would see its lead trimmed down to as small as three with 2:37 remaining in the game, but the Magic closed on a 12-0 run to finish off Fort Wayne.
The Mad Ants hit the road for two games beginning on Wednesday at Erie, before returning home on Friday, Feb. 1 to take on Raptors 905. The Magic will host Canton on Wednesday night.
Tickets are available for the next home game at the Coliseum by visiting ftwaynemadants.com or calling 260-469-4667.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - Erie BayHawks
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - G League
- Iowa Falls Short in Austin - Iowa Wolves
- Capital City Stunned by Wisconsin in Final Minutes - Capital City Go-Go
- Allen Dishes Career-High to Help Sever Skid, 105-96 - Westchester Knicks
- Charge Broil Red Claws - Canton Charge
- Magic Capitalize on Slow Start from Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Lose Lead Late to Charge - Maine Red Claws
- 905 Sting Swarm - Raptors 905
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Skyforce Game Postponed - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Warriors Defeat Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Salt Lake City Stars 106-97, Extend Win Streak to Five Games - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Solomon's Dunk Sends Oklahoma City over Iowa - Oklahoma City Blue
- McRae Erupts for 54 in Capital City's Win over Maine - Capital City Go-Go
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- Mad Ants' Tim Bawmann to be Inducted into Futures League Hall of Fame
- Mad Ants and NBA G League Update Regarding Ticketing
- Fort Wayne Edges Grand Rapids in Closing Seconds, 105-103
- Fort Wayne Has Season Best Shooting Night in Win over College Park
- Indiana Pacers Assign Alize Johnson to Fort Wayne