Charge Broil Red Claws
CANTON, OH - The Canton Charge (11-15), powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, defeated the Maine Red Claws (8-19), 104-95 in blustery downtown Canton Saturday night. With tonight's victory, the Charge extend their winning-streak over the Red Claws to eight straight games.
Coming off of a season-high 28 points and a game-winner in Long Island less than 24 hours earlier, Charge guard Levi Randolph picked up right where he left off, netting 11 points on 4-of-5 shooting in the first quarter. The Red Claws responded with a hot-shooting performance of their own in the first, shooting 58% from the field, including 53% from three-point distance. The Red Claws countered behind forwards P.J. Dozier and Andrew White's combined 21 points on 8-of-10 shooting that included 5-of-7 from beyond the arc. Maine assisted on 10-of-11 made field goals in the first and jumped to an early 32-26 lead after one.
Canton's defense answered the challenge in the second quarter, holding Maine to 32% shooting from the field. Maine went ice cold from behind the arc, missing on all 10 attempts. Randolph chipped in with six points in the second, connecting on both of his three-point attempts. Randolph lead all-scorers entering the break with 17 points with the Charge leading 54-50 after two.
Maine scratched-and-clawed for most of the third quarter, tying Canton on five occasions, but failing to take the lead. The Red Claws forced five Canton turnovers and held Canton to 39% shooting in the stanza. Archie Goodwin scored seven points in the quarter and Red Claws outscored Canton 25-21. The teams entered the fourth tied 75-75 after three quarters of play.
After a challenging third quarter, the Charge offense came to life in the fourth, with the team assisting on 7-of-11 made fourth quarter buckets. After P.J. Dozier tied the game at 92 with 4:20 remaining in the fourth quarter, Scoochie Smith answered with an acrobatic finish at the rim to regain the Charge lead. Scoochie then assisted on a highlight-worthy alley-oop to JaCorey Williams to extend the lead to 96-92. Randolph scored five of the Charge's last seven points to close out Maine as the Charge ran away with the 104-95 victory.
Randolph lead the Charge with 25 points in 35 minutes. Sir'Dominic Pointer continued his strong play with 13 points, nine rebounds, four assists and three steals in 27 minutes. Malik Newman scored a Charge season-high 17 points on 8-of-15 shooting while grabbing seven rebounds off of the bench in 28 productive minutes.
Dozier lead all scorers with 27 points, seven rebounds and nine assists in 35 minutes. The Red Claws are losers of four straight heading into a matchup this Thursday at the Grand Rapids Drive.
The Charge hit the road for a two-game road trip starting with a stop in Greensboro for a Monday matinee matchup against the Swarm at 2:00 PM on Martin Luther King Day (TV: Facebook Live; RADIO: 99.7 FM). For Charge Nation Memberships, group outings, game day promotions and up-to-date information, head to CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944. The Canton Charge are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and are also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League, who play their games at Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - Erie BayHawks
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - G League
- Iowa Falls Short in Austin - Iowa Wolves
- Capital City Stunned by Wisconsin in Final Minutes - Capital City Go-Go
- Allen Dishes Career-High to Help Sever Skid, 105-96 - Westchester Knicks
- Charge Broil Red Claws - Canton Charge
- Magic Capitalize on Slow Start from Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Lose Lead Late to Charge - Maine Red Claws
- 905 Sting Swarm - Raptors 905
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Skyforce Game Postponed - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Warriors Defeat Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Salt Lake City Stars 106-97, Extend Win Streak to Five Games - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Solomon's Dunk Sends Oklahoma City over Iowa - Oklahoma City Blue
- McRae Erupts for 54 in Capital City's Win over Maine - Capital City Go-Go
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.