Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas
GRAND RAPIDS - The Grand Rapids Drive (12-14) went on a 27-7 run in the fourth quarter to pull away and beat the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (14-12) at home Friday night by a final score of 123-105. Newly signed two-way player and Michigan State product Kalin Lucas led the way with 27 points, six rebounds and nine assists in just 27 minutes off the bench.
Marcus Thornton scored 24 points as well for the Drive and Todd Withers tied his season best with 21 points and also added seven rebounds. The Drive's other new two-way player Isaiah Whitehead fought off some struggles with his shot and recorded 11 points, nine rebounds and six assists. Johnny Hamilton and Michael Bethea Jr. also scored in double figures for the Drive to give them six players with at least 10 points.
For Fort Wayne, Edmond Sumner had a big game with 33 points (30 of them coming in the first three quarters), drawing 12 free throw attempts. Rob Gray scored 19 points off the bench and Stephan Hicks had an efficient 16 points and seven rebounds despite being limited to 24 minutes with some foul trouble.
The Drive jumped on the Ants from the beginning, building a 24-point lead early, pouring in 42 points in the first quarter to beat their previous season high for the first quarter by eight points. Thornton scored 15 points in the first 12 minutes. But the Mad Ants spent the following two quarters chipping away at the deficit, ultimately entering the fourth quarter down just two and re-taking the lead. The Drive responded in the fourth to earn their fifth win in their last seven games.
Ultimately, Grand Rapids missed their season high for points in a game by just two. They shot 47-of-95 (49 percent) from the floor and knocked down 16-of-36 (44 percent) three-pointers.
The Drive will look to keep up their recent strong run in their first ever matchup with the Capital City Go-Go on Monday night at home. Three of their next five games will be against Capital City. The Ants will finish out the second game of a back-to-back at home against the Lakeland Magic Saturday night.
GAME >>> https://bit.ly/2FAYZfe
Kalin Lucas (27pts, 9ast, 6reb & 2stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2U0QZam
Marcus Thornton (24pts & 3stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2FJcE2R
Todd Withers (21pts & 7reb) >>> https://bit.ly/2APMd8s
Michael Bethea Jr. (12pts) >>> https://bit.ly/2HnyFqu
Isaiah Whitehead (11pts, 9reb, 6ast & 2stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2QVsE3S
Johnny Hamilton (10pts & 6reb) >>> https://bit.ly/2sxEPdn
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - Erie BayHawks
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - G League
- Iowa Falls Short in Austin - Iowa Wolves
- Capital City Stunned by Wisconsin in Final Minutes - Capital City Go-Go
- Allen Dishes Career-High to Help Sever Skid, 105-96 - Westchester Knicks
- Charge Broil Red Claws - Canton Charge
- Magic Capitalize on Slow Start from Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Lose Lead Late to Charge - Maine Red Claws
- 905 Sting Swarm - Raptors 905
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Skyforce Game Postponed - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Warriors Defeat Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Salt Lake City Stars 106-97, Extend Win Streak to Five Games - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Solomon's Dunk Sends Oklahoma City over Iowa - Oklahoma City Blue
- McRae Erupts for 54 in Capital City's Win over Maine - Capital City Go-Go
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- Mad Ants Announce Bobblehead Giveaway on Saturday, March 23
- Reed's 21 Points in D.C. Not Enough for Fort Wayne
- Gansey Reaches 100 Wins as Mad Ants Take Care of Go-Go in D.C.
- Alize Johnson's Double-Double Not Enough at Raptors 905
- Mad Ants' Team Effort Leads Fort Wayne to Win against Lakeland