Red Claws Lose Lead Late to Charge
Canton, OH - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, had a 4th quarter lead but couldn't hold it, thanks in large part to a former Red Claw, falling to the Canton Charge Saturday night, 104-95.
Maine (8-19) got a solid performance by Boston Celtics Two-Way Player P.J. Dozier, who finished with 27 points, 7 rebounds and 9 assists. Andrew White added 19 points, including 5 three-pointers. Archie Goodwin led the bench with 14 points, while Justin Bibbs scored 12 in the loss. Celtics Two-Way Player R.J. Hunter added 8 points and 6 rebounds. Canton (11-15) was led by former Red Claw Levi Randolph, who finished with a team-high 25 points.
Dozier started the game hot, scoring 7 of Maine's first 9 points. The lead would see-saw back and forth, but Hunter and Bibbs would make three consecutive three-pointers, giving the Claws a 21-15 lead. White buried a pair of these late in the period, and the Red Claws had a 32-26 lead after 1.
In the 2nd, Canton quickly got back in the game, evening the score at 32. Dozier changed that with a driving lay-up for his 12th points. Lauderdale scored back-to-back buckets to make it 40-34 Claws. JaCorey Williams scored 2 quick field goals, and SirDominic Pointer buried a three to give the Charge a 41-40 advantage. Randolph was the story in the first half for the Charge, dropping in 5 threes and scoring 17 points. Canton led 54-50 at the break.
Dozier dropped in a three early in the 3rd, and White followed that up with a corner trey, knotting the game up at 58. Randolph hit yet another three to put the Charge up 3. White stayed hot in the 3rd quarter, and he and Goodwin knocked in back-to-back threes - Maine out-scored Canton 25-21 in the 3rd quarter and the game was tied at 75 at the end of 3.
In the 4th, Williams' alley-oop slam put Canton up 1. Malik Newman scored 6 straight for the Charge, but White's deep three tied the game at 90 with less than 5:00 to go. In the final minutes, Williams put in another alley-oop to put the Charge up 4, but Dozier buried a three to make it 96-95 Canton. Williams' monster slam and the foul put Canton up 3 with 1:01 to go. Randolph's shot clock-beating fadeaway put the Charge up 5 and put the game away with :31 left.
Maine shot 43% (37-87) from the field, 33% (13-39) from three-point range, and 8-13 from the free throw line. Canton shot 43% (40-92) from the floor, 44% (12-27) from downtown, and 12-15 from the charity stripe.
The Red Claws return home Thursday for a showdown with Grand Rapids. Tickets are on sale now by calling 207-210-6655 or visiting MaineRedClaws.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - Erie BayHawks
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - G League
- Iowa Falls Short in Austin - Iowa Wolves
- Capital City Stunned by Wisconsin in Final Minutes - Capital City Go-Go
- Allen Dishes Career-High to Help Sever Skid, 105-96 - Westchester Knicks
- Charge Broil Red Claws - Canton Charge
- Magic Capitalize on Slow Start from Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Lose Lead Late to Charge - Maine Red Claws
- 905 Sting Swarm - Raptors 905
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Skyforce Game Postponed - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Warriors Defeat Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Salt Lake City Stars 106-97, Extend Win Streak to Five Games - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Solomon's Dunk Sends Oklahoma City over Iowa - Oklahoma City Blue
- McRae Erupts for 54 in Capital City's Win over Maine - Capital City Go-Go
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Red Claws Stories
- Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters Receive All-NBA G League Honors
- Tremont Waters Named NBA G League Rookie of the Year
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws on Cancellation of 2019-20 NBA G League Season
- Red Claws, TD Bank Launch "Fueling the Frontline" Today
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws