McRae Erupts for 54 in Capital City's Win over Maine
Washington Wizards two-way player, Jordan McRae, scored an NBA G League season-high 54 points, leading the Capital City Go-Go (15-10) past the Maine Red Claws (8-18) 118-107 on Friday night in the nation's capital.
McRae shot 18-for-31 from the field (.581), going 5-for-9 from three and 13-for-14 from the free throw line while pulling down nine rebounds and dishing three assists. The 54-point night was his most scored in a game since putting up 61 as a member of the then-Delaware 87ers on January 26, 2016. It also marked the first 50-point game in the NBA G League this season, and the first since Trey Davis of the Maine Red Claws scored 57 last season on March 18.
In the month of January, McRae is now averaging 36.0 points per game, shooting 49.2 percent from the floor and 90.9 percent from the free throw line. He has scored at least 20 points in all eight games, 30-plus in six and 40-plus in three, leading the Go-Go to a 7-1 record.
With the win, Capital City became just the fourth true NBA G League (formerly D League) expansion team to reach 15 wins through 25 games, joining the 2009-10 Red Claws (16-9), 2005-06 Fort Worth Flyers (15-10) and 2017-18 Wisconsin Herd (15-10).
The Go-Go spotted the Red Claws an early lead, as Maine's lead peaked at 17 points towards the end of the first quarter. Capital City fought back quickly, as they entered halftime trailing only by two. From then on, it was nearly all McRae, as his 28 second-half points pushed the Go-Go past a Maine comeback attempt. Capital City used a late 15-to-2 run to officially put the game out of reach late in the fourth quarter.
Capital City also received contributions from Noah Allen (17 points, five rebounds), who scored 15 of his 17 points in the second half, Isaiah Armwood (12 points, eight rebounds) and Chris Chiozza (eight points, eight assists, six steals), whose six steals were the most by a Go-Go player this season.
Maine was led by PJ Dozier's 26 points and seven rebounds, his 11th consecutive game in double figures and his 16th 20-point game of the season. Justin Bibbs (22 points, six rebounds, six assists) and Andrew White III (21 points, five rebounds) also reached the 20-point plateau for Maine.
Capital City will host the second end of its home-and-home back-to-back tomorrow night, as they welcome the Wisconsin Herd to the Entertainment and Sports Arena at 7:00 p.m. Maine will also play tomorrow night, as they head to Canton to take on the Charge at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - Erie BayHawks
- Tonight's Game Between the Erie BayHawks and Long Island Nets Suspended - G League
- Iowa Falls Short in Austin - Iowa Wolves
- Capital City Stunned by Wisconsin in Final Minutes - Capital City Go-Go
- Allen Dishes Career-High to Help Sever Skid, 105-96 - Westchester Knicks
- Charge Broil Red Claws - Canton Charge
- Magic Capitalize on Slow Start from Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Red Claws Lose Lead Late to Charge - Maine Red Claws
- 905 Sting Swarm - Raptors 905
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Skyforce Game Postponed - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Drive Top Ants Behind 27 from Lucas - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Warriors Defeat Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Salt Lake City Stars 106-97, Extend Win Streak to Five Games - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Solomon's Dunk Sends Oklahoma City over Iowa - Oklahoma City Blue
- McRae Erupts for 54 in Capital City's Win over Maine - Capital City Go-Go
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.