Ryan Kinasewich Named Grizzlies Captain
West Valley City, Utah - Utah Grizzlies Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Kevin Colley announced today that Ryan Kinasewich has been named the team captain. In addition, Matt Craig, James Sanford, Tim Verbeek and Jon Gleed have been named assistant captains as all voted by their teammates.
Craig and Sanford will serve as assistants for home games until the all-star break and road games after while Verbeek and Gleed will have A's on their sweaters for road games until the all-star break and home games after.
"I had an idea about who I thought would be good leaders for this team and the team agreed with their votes," said Colley. "We want a core group of leaders, not just a captain and two assistants for our club. Everyone in our locker room will be holding themselves and others accountable."
Kinasewich enters his fourth season with Utah as the third-leading scorer in Grizzlies history with 91 goals and 113 assists for 204 points in 148 games. He set an all-time record for Grizzlies points in a game January 16, 2008 when he had one goal and five assists versus Phoenix. Utah acquired Kinasewich from Reading in October of 2005 in exchange for future considerations.
Verbeek is the only player classified as a veteran on the Grizzlies with 444 total professional games played. Sanford and Craig both enter their third seasons with Utah and Jon Gleed was a member of the Cincinnati Cyclones club last year that won the ECHL's Kelly Cup Championship.
The Grizzlies open the 2008-2009 season Saturday, October 18 at Idaho. The home opening weekend for Utah is Friday and Saturday, October 24 and 25 versus Alaska at the E-Center.
The Utah Grizzlies, of the ECHL, celebrate their 15th anniversary season in 2008-2009. Owned and operated by the Elmore Sports Group, the Grizzlies enter their second season and sixth overall as an affiliate of the New York Islanders. South Jordan resident and former Islander Kevin Colley enters his first season as the Grizzlies Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations after serving as Jason Christie's Assistant Coach in 2007-2008 as the team advanced to the National Conference Finals. The Grizzlies play all home games at the E-Center of West Valley City, which hosted hockey during the 2002 Winter Olympics.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 17, 2008
- Nailers open season with win - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Drop Opener to Jackals, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Lynx Fall in Opener, Pepper 42 Shots - Augusta Lynx
- Jackals Open Season With A Bang - Elmira Jackals
- Ryan Garlock Scores Twice to Give Johnstown the Victory - Trenton Devils
- Checkers drop season opener to Everblades 6-3 - Charlotte Checkers
- Cruthers' Two Goals, Assist Power Mississippi's Win As 11th ECHL Campaign Begins - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Chiefs open on a high note - Johnstown Chiefs
- 'Blades open season with 6-3 win over Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Drop Opener, 7-5 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- MacAulay Named Falcons Captain; Four Others to Serve as Alternates - Fresno Falcons
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Stingrays Name Captain, Alternates - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Welcomes Ex-Sharks Prospect Craig Valette - Stockton Thunder
- Wranglers Add Limpright, Beaudoin And Bridges - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Bombers Acquire Forward Bowers from Florida Everblades - Dayton Bombers
- Blades finalize roster for opening night - Florida Everblades
- Ryan Kinasewich Named Grizzlies Captain - Utah Grizzlies
- Travis Rycroft Announces Retirement - Utah Grizzlies
- Checkers Receive Mike Taylor From Wolf Pack - Charlotte Checkers
- Nailers Open 17th Season Tonight - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.