Russ Smith Leads the Energy to Victory over the Drive
Grand Rapids, MI - The Iowa Energy (19-17) won 120-118 over the Grand Rapids Drive (17-19) Wednesday night at the Deltaplex Arena.
The Energy were led by Memphis Grizzlies assignee Russ Smith with a game-high 38 points, five rebounds and two assists. Jarnell Stokes had a double-double with 20 points and 17 rebounds. Willie Reed also had a double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Kalin Lucas added 28 points. All five Energy starters scored in double digits. The Drive were led by Diante Garrett with 34 points, seven rebounds and nine assists.
It was a fast paced, high scoring first half for Iowa and Grand Rapids. Russ Smith led the Energy with 18 points on seven of ten shooting in the first quarter. The Energy shot 58 percent from the field. The lead changed hands seven times as Grand Rapids took the lead at the end of the quarter, 41-38. It continued to be a close game in the second quarter. Larry Owens led the Energy with seven points. The Drive outscored the Energy 28-23 in the second quarter to take a 69-61 halftime lead.
It was a strong third quarter for Smith and the Energy. Smith scored 13 points to help the Energy pull within four points as they outscored the Drive 24-20. The Energy came out ready to fight in the fourth quarter, quickly tying the game and taking the lead. Iowa would then lead for most of the fourth quarter before the Drive tied it at 115 with :52.6 left to play. Lucas was able to hit a couple of big free-throws in the closing seconds to help the Energy preserve the lead. A last second chance for Grand Rapids to tie the game was foiled with a steal from Larry Owens and the Energy would win 120-118.
Iowa returns home Sunday, March 8 at 3pm against the Reno Bighorns for Faith and Family Night. Tickets are only $10.71 and include a hot dog, pop and popcorn.
Iowa Energy 2014-2015 single game tickets are now on sale starting at just $8. Group tickets, Flex Packs and payment plans are available now. For more information, visit IowaNBA.com or contact the Energy at (515)-564-8550. For more information on the Energy, "like' the Iowa Energy on Facebook or follow on Twitter (@iowaenergy).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 4, 2015
- McNeal Scores 24 to Pace Jam Past Blue - Bakersfield Jam
- Fourth-Quarter Comeback Propels Energy over Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Russ Smith Leads the Energy to Victory over the Drive - Iowa Wolves
- Red Claws Host Austin Tomorrow Night on "Military Night" - Maine Red Claws
- Bighorns Trade for Christian Watford - Reno Bighorns
- Red Claws Announce Roster Changes - Maine Red Claws
- Heat Assign Zoran Dragic to NBA D-League's Sioux Falls Skyforce - G League
- Heat Assign Zoran Dragic to Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- McDonald's Players of the Month Named - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Pelicans Sign Elliot Williams from NBA D-League's Santa Cruz Warriors - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Charge Reacquire Jorge Gutierrez - Canton Charge
- Pelicans Sign Elliot Williams from NBA D-League's Santa Cruz Warriors - G League
- Blue Acquires Dwight Buycks - Oklahoma City Blue
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wolves Stories
- Wolves Announce Priority Dates for 2019-20 Season
- Iowa Unable to Complete Comeback in Season Finale
- Wolves Lock Down in Fourth Quarter to Secure Win over Suns
- Iowa Takes Care of Business in Home Finale against Wisconsin
- Wolves Take Down Spurs in Come-From-Behind Victory