Royals Sign Pair of Defencemen
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals are proud to announce the signing of defencemen Lukas Shipley (2004) and Braden Smith (2003) to WHL Standard Player Agreements.
Shipley was selected in the sixth round, 112th overall, by the Royals in the 2019 Bantam Draft this past May.
"Lukas is a developing prospect with interesting upside. He plays with vision and purpose," Royals' President and General Manager Cameron Hope said. "Lukas's game will continue to improve, and we are glad to have him join our organization."
The product of Powell River, BC finished the 2018-19 campaign with the Powell River Kings Bantam Tier 3 team of the Vancouver Island Hockey Association (VIHA). The 5-10, 154 lb defenceman also spent the beginning of the season with the West Vancouver Academy Bantam Prep team of the Canadian School Sports Hockey League (CSSHL). In 16 games with the club, Shipley tallied 17 points (1g-16a).
A native of Kamloops, BC, Smith was drafted by the Royals in the sixth round, 117th overall, in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft.
"Braden is a defender who worked har over the past season, and during training camp, to earn this opportunity," Hope said. "We are excited about his progress so far and pleased to welcome Braden and his family to the organization."
The 16-year-old blueliner spent last season with the Thompson Blazers Minor Midget team of the BC Minor Midget Hockey League. In 23 games with the club, the 5-11, 168 lb defender recorded 13 points (6g-7a). Smith also spent time with the Thompson Blazers of the British Columbia Major Midget Hockey League (BCMML), where in four contests, he recorded an assist.
The Royals' annual intra-squad game is tonight at 7:05 p.m. at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Admission to the contest will be by donation with general admission seating, while hot dogs, popcorn and pop will be available for only $2.00 each.
Season Ticket packages are on sale now - reserve your seat for all 34 home games. Benefits include access to our flexible "Never Wasted Ticket" exchange policy, first opportunity on giveaway items, choice of best seats, and much more! Call our ticket office at 250-220-7889 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or to set up an appointment to view availability.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Silvertips Sign U.S. Born Prospect, Junior Silvertips Product, and Forward Brendan Lee to a WHL Standard Player Agreement - Everett Silvertips
- Masters Making An Impact in Rebels Camp - Red Deer Rebels
- Hitmen 2019 Training Camp Day Two Reca - Calgary Hitmen
- Maric Slipped to Fifth Round of Bantam Draft, But Rebels Confident They Got a Bargain - Red Deer Rebels
- Toporowski to Compete at Winnipeg Jets' Rookie Tournament - Spokane Chiefs
- Sloan Joins Ams for Pre-Season Tournaments - Tri-City Americans
- Broncos Acquire Swift Current Native De Klerk from Spokane - Swift Current Broncos
- Chiefs Acquire Draft Pick for Prospect De Klerk - Spokane Chiefs
- Winterhawks Sign Prospects Chyzowski and Thompson - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Announce 2019-20 Ticket On-Sale Dates - Victoria Royals
- Raiders Sign Ilya Usau - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals Sign Pair of Defencemen - Victoria Royals
- Chiefs Sign Raegan Wiles to WHL Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Sign Kalem Parker & Brayden Schuurman - Victoria Royals
- WHL Next Generation: Colton Dach - Saskatoon Blades
- Vancouver Giants Announce 2019-20 Promotional Nights - Vancouver Giants
- Rockets unveil new uniforms and Canadian Cancer Society Pink in the Rink jersey - Kelowna Rockets
- Tickets on Sale for 2019 Prairie Classic - Regina Pats
- Tigers Announce Leadership Group for 19/20 Season - Medicine Hat Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.