Rom Dominates To Move Baysox Within Win Of Championship Series Berth
Drew Rom worked a magical 54-pitch, five-inning outing of perfection and the Baysox bullpen took the reins in a pivotal 3-1 win Friday night. The win over Altoona moves the Baysox within a victory of a spot in the 2021 Double-A Northeast League Championship Series with two games to play.
The Baysox are now on the doorstep of their third ever trip to the championship series. If Bowie wins one of their final two games they will clinch a spot. If they lose both and Akron loses both games to Somerset, the Baysox will also be in. Bowie has played for a league title just twice in their preceding 27-year on-field history.
This evening, Bowie got out to an early lead. Jordan Westburg doubled to left-center, leading off the first and the throw to second got away. Westburg popped up out of his slide and took third. He then quickly scored on a throwing error from Curve pitcher Jeff Passantino on a comebacker to the hill off the bat of Patrick Dorrian and Bowie had a 1-0 lead.
In the third inning after a Shayne Fontana infield single, Dorrian got into one. He launched his 21st home run of the season, a two-run shot to right and Bowie's lead was 3-0.
Rom was supplanted by the relieving trio of Tyler Burch, Ryan Conroy and Diogenes Almengo who combined to allow just an unearned run in four innings of work. Almengo notched his 15th save of the year.
With the win, Rom finishes 2021 as the winningest pitcher in the Orioles farm system with 11 wins. Altoona committed five errors in the game. The Baysox will try to clinch a third ever spot in the finals Saturday night at 6:35 p.m. with Orioles rehabbing lefty Bruce Zimmermann making the start.
The Baysox 2021 season is presented by Money One Federal Credit Union. The Baysox are home through Sunday, September 14th against the Altoona Curve for Bowie's final regular season homestand. For tickets, promotional event information and game times, CLICK HERE or call 301-464-4865.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 17, 2021
- Ponies Fall to Fightins on Friday Night - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Castellanos, Granberg Homer in 7-2 Victory over Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Matt Hearn Records 27th Stolen Base But Yard Goats Fall - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rom Dominates To Move Baysox Within Win Of Championship Series Berth - Bowie Baysox
- Wesneski's Gem Puts Patriots One Win Shy of Playoff Berth - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks Drop to Third Place with 2-0 Loss to Somerset - Akron RubberDucks
- Pitching and Defense Powers R-Phils to Victory - Reading Fightin Phils
- Fisher Cats Shut out Senators, 4-0 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Squirrels Drop Third Straight against SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Olson Near-Perfect to Guide SeaWolves Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Cleveland Indian Shane Bieber to Rehab Sunday at Canal Park - Akron RubberDucks
- Beer Festival Set for FirstEnergy Stadium on October 23 - Reading Fightin Phils
- September 17, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves Announce Charitable Donation from Wonders Night at UPMC Park - Erie SeaWolves
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Stott Named Phillies MiLB Player of the Year - Reading Fightin Phils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.