River Cats bested by Chihuahuas in pitching duel
WEST SACRAMENTO, CA - Both team's starting pitchers were impressive in Sunday's matinee, but it was the El Paso Chihuahuas (67-51) who eventually got to the Sacramento River Cats (47-72) bullpen for a 4-1 victory.
Righty Shaun Anderson, making his fifth start as a member of the River Cats, struck out seven in 5.1 one-run innings while Cal Quantrill whiffed six in his six one-run innings for El Paso. But while knotted up at one apiece in the eighth, reliever Derek Law surrendered three runs to the Chihuahuas on four hits and a walk.
The River Cats will hop on a bus and head to Reno, Nev. for a three-game series with the Aces. Right-hander Tyler Herb (1-5, 5.31) will get the nod from manager Dave Brundage while fellow righty Taylor Clarke will face the River Cats for the fourth time this season. Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on the air on Money 105.FM.
- Yuba City native Brock Stassi, in his first game with the River Cats since being signed by the Giants to a minor-league contract on Saturday, finished the day 3-for-4 with a double.
- River Cats starting pitchers have now gone 11 consecutive games pitching five or more innings after Anderson's 5.1 frames on Sunday afternoon.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. River Cats Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the 2018 season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). For more information about the River Cats, visit www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rainiers Rally Not Enough, Bees Win 9-7 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grizzlies smash two homers and six doubles, take 9-4 series finale from Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Express Split Doubleheader with Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Split Two in Round Rock - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sky Sox Swept by Sounds After Falling 9-7 in Extras - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats bested by Chihuahuas in pitching duel - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Stun Sky Sox, Extend Streak to 13 Games - Nashville Sounds
- Chihuahuas Open Game up Late - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Mooney's Bomb Helps 'Cakes to Series Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Steal Sweet Victory from I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (74-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-54) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-56) - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies narrowly avoid being no-hit in 10-0 loss to Albuquerque - Fresno Grizzlies
- Allen Holds off Sacramento - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Belt begins rehab as River Cats comeback falls short - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Fall to Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats' 20th Season Brings Exciting Updates to Raley Field
- Dinger's Valentine's Day Dinger Grams Now Available
- Dave Brundage to Return as River Cats Manager for 2019
- Full 2019 Sacramento River Cats Schedule Now Available
- 2019 Giant Pack Now Available Online for Thanksgiving Holiday