Rainiers Rally Not Enough, Bees Win 9-7
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - Despite a six-run rally in the eighth inning, the Tacoma Rainiers (57-61) lost the series finale to the Salt Lake Bees (64-55) by a final score of 9-7 on Sunday night at Smith's Ballpark.
Second baseman Gordon Beckham continued his long run of strong play at Smith's Ballpark, going 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI. Catcher David Freitas (2x5, R, 2B, RBI) also collected multiple hits, while center fielder John Andreoli (1x4, RBI, BB) and first baseman Daniel Vogelbach (1x4, R, RBI, BB) both reached base twice.
Rainiers starting pitcher Rob Whalen (7-7) only lasted two innings and suffered the loss - he allowed four runs on eight hits while walking a pair and striking out three. Whalen tossed 70 pitches in those two innings, 39 of which were strikes.
Justin Grimm (2.0 IP), Roenis Elias (0.2 IP), and Chasen Bradford (1.0 IP) all notched scoreless performances out of the Rainiers bullpen. Lefty Marc Rzepczynski (1.1 IP) allowed four runs on four hits (one home run), and Tyler Higgins (1.0 IP) allowed one run on back-to-back doubles in the bottom of the eighth inning.
The Rainiers road trip moves on to Albuquerque to face the Isotopes on Monday night with a first pitch set for 5:35 p.m. PT. Tacoma will start right-hander Austin Hutchison (0-0, -.--) while Albuquerque will hand the ball to left-hander David Holmberg (5-6, 5.86).
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2018 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rainiers Rally Not Enough, Bees Win 9-7 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grizzlies smash two homers and six doubles, take 9-4 series finale from Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Express Split Doubleheader with Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Split Two in Round Rock - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sky Sox Swept by Sounds After Falling 9-7 in Extras - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats bested by Chihuahuas in pitching duel - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Stun Sky Sox, Extend Streak to 13 Games - Nashville Sounds
- Chihuahuas Open Game up Late - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Mooney's Bomb Helps 'Cakes to Series Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Steal Sweet Victory from I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (74-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-54) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-56) - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies narrowly avoid being no-hit in 10-0 loss to Albuquerque - Fresno Grizzlies
- Allen Holds off Sacramento - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Belt begins rehab as River Cats comeback falls short - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Fall to Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Daren Brown Returns to Lead Rainiers Field Staff in 2019
- Ashley Schutt Named Pacific Coast League Woman Executive of the Year
- 2018 Tacoma Rainiers Season Review
- Tacoma Rainiers and Seattle Mariners Announce Four-Year Extension of Player Development Contract
- Rainiers Wrap Season With 5-4 Victory Over Chihuahuas