Grizzlies narrowly avoid being no-hit in 10-0 loss to Albuquerque
A Garrett Stubbs leadoff double to the wall in center in the bottom of the ninth saved the first place Fresno Grizzlies (67-51) from being no-hit on Saturday night at Chukchansi Park by five Albuquerque Isotopes (55-63); Sam Howard, Yency Almonte, Carlos Estevez, Brooks Pounders and Scott McGough. The Grizzlies' magic number for clinching a division title and playoff berth remains 17.
Albuquerque sent all nine batters to the plate in the second, taking a 4-0 lead on four hits and two walks. The RBI blows were by Jordan Patterson (3-for-4), Daniel Castroand Raimel Tapia (2-for-5), who lifted a two-run double into the right field gap.
Fresno starter Trent Thornton (8-8) lasted just an inning and two-thirds, and all four runs were earned. It was a surprising turn of events after a perfect first inning for the PCL's leader in WHIP, base runners per 9.0 IP and walks per 9.0 IP coming into Saturday's action. The right-hander struck out three, including Matt Holliday looking to end the top of the first.
The Isotopes made it 5-0 in the fifth, on a Noel Cuevas (2-for-5) RBI single. Albuquerque starter Sam Howard tossed four innings in an abbreviated start; the left-hander walked two and struck out five. It was 6-0 after a Cuevas RBI double in the seventh.
It was 7-0 Albuquerque after Holliday's RBI groundout in the eighth, part of a three-run inning punctuated by a two-run single by Mike Tauchman for a 9-0 lead. Patterson made it 10-0 in the ninth with a solo homer, his 22nd home run of the season.
McGough gave up his side's only hit on a 1-1 pitch to Stubbs, and Pounders (1-3) earned the win in relief tossing a scoreless seventh and eighth, with a walk and three strikeouts.
The series will continue with game four on Sunday, the final regular season meeting between the clubs. Probable starters are RHP Peter Lambert (2-3, 4.71) for Albuquerque and RHP Josh James (5-4, 3.38) for Fresno. First pitch is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. As the Grizzlies aim to split the four-game set, they lead the season series with the Isotopes 8-7.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rainiers Rally Not Enough, Bees Win 9-7 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grizzlies smash two homers and six doubles, take 9-4 series finale from Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Express Split Doubleheader with Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Split Two in Round Rock - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sky Sox Swept by Sounds After Falling 9-7 in Extras - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats bested by Chihuahuas in pitching duel - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Stun Sky Sox, Extend Streak to 13 Games - Nashville Sounds
- Chihuahuas Open Game up Late - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Mooney's Bomb Helps 'Cakes to Series Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Steal Sweet Victory from I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (74-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-54) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-56) - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies narrowly avoid being no-hit in 10-0 loss to Albuquerque - Fresno Grizzlies
- Allen Holds off Sacramento - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Belt begins rehab as River Cats comeback falls short - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Fall to Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Las Vegas avoids sweep despite homers by J.D. Davis and A.J. Reed
- J.D. Davis collects 4 RBI in 6-3 Tacos win
- Fresno cruises to a 4-0 win over Vegas thanks to Emanuel's gem
- Grizzlies smash two homers and six doubles, take 9-4 series finale from Isotopes
- Grizzlies narrowly avoid being no-hit in 10-0 loss to Albuquerque