'Cakes Steal Sweet Victory from I-Cubs
METAIRIE, LA - The New Orleans Baby Cakes (57-61) secured the series with a 7-6 victory over the Iowa Cubs (43-75), Sunday at Shrine on Airline.
Iowa took the first lead for the third-straight game as Jason Vosler blasted a two-run homer in the first, following a Ryan Court walk. Alec Mills breezed through the first before Peter O'Brien cut the I-Cubs' lead in half with a solo shot to lead off the second.
Austin Dean doubled in a run in the third to knot the game, but the I-Cubs quickly recovered the edge as they got solo shots from Court - his team-leading 11th of the season - and Mark Zagunis in the fourth.
The Baby Cakes took control from there as they plated five unanswered runs between the fourth and the fifth innings. Four-straight singles opened the bottom of the fourth as New Orleans scored three runs on four hits to capture a 5-4 edge. A two-run homer from Peter Mooney in the fifth widened the gap and chased Mills (L, 5-12) from the game after 4.1 innings.
Iowa's bullpen spun 3.2 shutout frames behind the arms of James Norwood and Kyle Ryan to give the I-Cubs a chance. Zagunis led off the ninth with a single to set up Taylor Davis for a two-run home run - Iowa's fourth long ball of the game - but Iowa's comeback effort fell just short.
Iowa takes the day off tomorrow before returning home for a three-game set against Colorado Springs beginning Tuesday. A Party with Princesses Kids Night on Wednesday, Aug. 15 highlights the homestand. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rainiers Rally Not Enough, Bees Win 9-7 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grizzlies smash two homers and six doubles, take 9-4 series finale from Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Express Split Doubleheader with Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Split Two in Round Rock - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sky Sox Swept by Sounds After Falling 9-7 in Extras - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats bested by Chihuahuas in pitching duel - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Stun Sky Sox, Extend Streak to 13 Games - Nashville Sounds
- Chihuahuas Open Game up Late - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Mooney's Bomb Helps 'Cakes to Series Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Steal Sweet Victory from I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (74-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-54) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-56) - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies narrowly avoid being no-hit in 10-0 loss to Albuquerque - Fresno Grizzlies
- Allen Holds off Sacramento - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Belt begins rehab as River Cats comeback falls short - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Fall to Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.