Belt begins rehab as River Cats comeback falls short
WEST SACRAMENTO, CA - The Sacramento River Cats (47-71) scored late to make things interesting, but the El Paso Chihuahuas (66-51) emerged victorious by the final score of 2-1. Brandon Belt began rehab, playing five innings at first base and logging two plate appearances.
The River Cats were held scoreless until the eighth inning when Miguel Gomez knocked a two-out RBI single to pull the River Cats within one.
River Cats starter Jordan Johnson set a season-high after pitching into the seventh inning on Saturday night. Johnson allowed just two runs on five hits before being taken out with one out in the seventh.
Sacramento would eventually fall 2-1, making it the third consecutive game decided by one run in this series.
The River Cats wrap up the series against the Chihuahuas with a Sunday matinee. Right-hander Shaun Anderson (1-2, 4.88) makes his first daytime start for Sacramento while fellow righty Cal Quantrill is set to make his second Triple-A start for El Paso. Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, on the air on Money 105.5 FM.
- Kelby Tomlinson extended his hitting streak to twelve games with a single in the fifth inning. Tomlinson is batting .425 (17-for-40) during that stretch.
- The River Cats recorded just six hits on the evening, but Cesar Puello logged his first multi-hit game for Sacramento by going 2-for-4 with two singles.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. River Cats Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the 2018 season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). For more information about the River Cats, visit www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Rainiers Rally Not Enough, Bees Win 9-7 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grizzlies smash two homers and six doubles, take 9-4 series finale from Isotopes - Fresno Grizzlies
- Express Split Doubleheader with Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Split Two in Round Rock - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sky Sox Swept by Sounds After Falling 9-7 in Extras - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats bested by Chihuahuas in pitching duel - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Stun Sky Sox, Extend Streak to 13 Games - Nashville Sounds
- Chihuahuas Open Game up Late - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Mooney's Bomb Helps 'Cakes to Series Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 'Cakes Steal Sweet Victory from I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (74-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (61-54) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 12, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (63-55) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-56) - Nashville Sounds
- Grizzlies narrowly avoid being no-hit in 10-0 loss to Albuquerque - Fresno Grizzlies
- Allen Holds off Sacramento - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Belt begins rehab as River Cats comeback falls short - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Fall to Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats' 20th Season Brings Exciting Updates to Raley Field
- Dinger's Valentine's Day Dinger Grams Now Available
- Dave Brundage to Return as River Cats Manager for 2019
- Full 2019 Sacramento River Cats Schedule Now Available
- 2019 Giant Pack Now Available Online for Thanksgiving Holiday