Richardson, Urquhart Tally Three Hits Each in Loss to Traverse City
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - The Evansville Otters (2-1) set a new season-high with 12 hits but lost the series finale 6-3 to the Traverse City Beach Bums (2-1) on Sunday night.
Evansville took the lead in the third with three hits in a row and a run scoring fielder's choice from outfielder John Schultz.
Down by one, Traverse City rallied to tie the game in the sixth on a double by Jose Vargas. The Beach Bums then took the lead on a single from Jake Rhodes that plated three runners following an Otters error.
Trailing 4-1, infielder Shayne Houck brought Evansville closer with a leadoff home run in the bottom of the sixth. It was the 24th home run for Houck, tied for fourth most in franchise history.
Traverse City then tacked on a run in the seventh and another in the eighth for the 6-2 advantage.
Evansville drew a run closer with on a wild pitch in the eighth and loaded the bases in the ninth. Behind 6-3, Houck represented the tying run, but he hit into a game ending fielder's choice that gave Traverse City the series win.
Outfielder Ronnie Richardson and infielder Cory Urquhart collected three hits each in the contest. Houck also finished 2-for-5 with two runs scored and an RBI.
Walch (0-1) takes the loss, despite retiring the first nine batters he faced. The right-hander yielded three runs in 5.2 innings pitched.
The Otters are off on Monday but begin a three game series at the Washington Wild Things on Tuesday, May 19.
Evansville is back at home on Friday, May 22 to host the Florence Freedom. First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. CDT. Reserved seats are $9 as general admission tickets are only $6. Fans can purchase tickets by calling the team's front office at 812.435.8686 or online at EvansvilleOtters.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2015
- Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rockford - Gateway Grizzlies
- Richardson, Urquhart Tally Three Hits Each in Loss to Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Win 6-3 in Evansville - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Split Sunday Double Header with Boomers - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Split Doubleheader in Pennsylvania - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Fall for the First Time in 2015 - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use four-run third to avoid sweep - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Fall in Lake Erie Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Opening Day Doubleheader with Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss to Aviators - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.