Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rockford
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies dropped the series finale to the Rockford Aviators at GCS Ballpark on Sunday night, 14-1.
The Aviators (3-0) scored all of their 14 runs in the game's first three innings. Grizzlies LHP Michael O'Neal (0-1) allowed eight runs in the first two innings, while RHP Brandon Hallford was touched up for six runs after he replaced O'Neal.
Rockford's 14-run outburst was aided by only 11 hits in the game, while the Grizzlies' pitching staff allowed 11 walks all together. The Aviators scored three runs in the first, but then exploded for 11 runs combined in the second and third innings.
The Grizzlies' bullpen was solid following the third inning. RHP Troy Barton threw more than three scoreless innings. RHP Scott Harkin, RHP David Murillo, and RHP Brett Zawacki all chipped in with a scoreless frame of work.
Gateway's lone run came in the sixth inning when Rolando Gomez singled to right field, which allowed Madison Beaird to cross home. It was Gomez's second RBI in as many days.
The Grizzlies (0-3) return to action on Tuesday night as they start a 6-game road trip with stops at Normal and Joliet. Gateway takes on the CornBelters at 6:35 p.m. on Tuesday to open up a three-game series. The game can be heard on the Grizzlies Radio Network (101 ESPN Digital Platforms & 1400 KJFF) with Sam Levitt. -###- FOR MORE INFORMATION, please contact Sam Levitt via email or at (618) 337-3000 ext. 17.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2015
- Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rockford - Gateway Grizzlies
- Richardson, Urquhart Tally Three Hits Each in Loss to Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Win 6-3 in Evansville - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Split Sunday Double Header with Boomers - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Split Doubleheader in Pennsylvania - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Fall for the First Time in 2015 - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use four-run third to avoid sweep - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Fall in Lake Erie Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Opening Day Doubleheader with Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss to Aviators - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.