CornBelters Fall for the First Time in 2015
NORMAL, Ill. - The Normal CornBelters, presented by Illinois Corn Farmers, suffered their first loss of 2015 in a pitchers' duel, a 2-1 decision to the River City Rascals on Sunday afternoon at T.R. Hughes Ballpark.
The host Rascals opened the scoring in the first inning with a one-out double by Curran Redal, who scored on a pair of fielder's choice including the RBI from Danny Canela.
The CornBelters answered in the second frame with a lead-off double by Aaron Dudley to the right field corner, followed by a single by Richard Lucas to send him to third and a double play grounder to score him to even the game at 1-1.
The Rascals reached Normal starter Mike Schweiss for three straight singles in the sixth inning, taking a 2-1 lead with an RBI base hit from Josh Ludy. The Belters pushed two runners into scoring position in the eighth but could not advance them.
Schweiss (0-1) took the loss with six innings of work, giving up both runs on six hits while striking out four without a walk. Joe Scanio (1-0) earned the win with 7.2 innings, allowing seven hits and one run while striking out six without a walk.
The CornBelters will return to action to play their first home game on Tuesday, May 19 at 6:35 p.m. versus the Gateway Grizzlies ("CEFCU Opening Night"). Lefty Kevin Brahney is scheduled to start for Normal. Pre-game on WEZC 95.9 and WJBC.com is at 6:20 with a link to the web stream also available at www.normalbaseball.com.
THE NIBLET: CornBelters full season tickets for the 2015 season are currently on sale! To purchase full season tickets tickets, or for more information, please contact the CornBelters today at (309) 454-2255 (BALL) or stop by The Mid-Illini Credit Union Box Office at The Corn Crib during normal business hours.
Images from this story
Normal CornBelters Pitcher Mike Schweiss
(Ricky Rick Photography)
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2015
- Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rockford - Gateway Grizzlies
- Richardson, Urquhart Tally Three Hits Each in Loss to Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Win 6-3 in Evansville - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Split Sunday Double Header with Boomers - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Split Doubleheader in Pennsylvania - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Fall for the First Time in 2015 - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use four-run third to avoid sweep - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Fall in Lake Erie Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Opening Day Doubleheader with Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss to Aviators - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.