Miners Fall in Lake Erie Finale
Marion, Ill. (May 17, 2015) - The Southern Illinois Miners fell behind early against the Lake Erie Crushers and could not dig out of the hole on Sunday afternoon, losing by a final score of 5-2 at All Pro Freight Stadium in Avon.
The Miners offense was held down through the first three frames by Lake Erie's Peter Gehle and the Crushers offense got to Miguel Ramirez (0-1) in the bottom of the third. After Frank DeSico led off with a double and Trevor Stevens got an infield single, Anderson Hidalgo drove in the first run of the game before Joey Burney hit a 1-2 pitch out to right for a three-run homer that made the score 4-0 Lake Erie.
The Miners would respond by getting one run back immediately on a two-out RBI single by Marquis Riley, cutting their deficit to 4-1. Lake Erie would load the bases with no one out in the sixth, but they would score just one run thanks to a double play and a strikeout from reliever Brandon Cowan. Southern Illinois would get another run in the eighth on a Niko Vasquez RBI single that drove home Michael Earley, but would get no closer in dropping the series finale.
Aaron Gates went 2-for-4 with a walk for the Miners, who left 10 runners on base for the game, while Earley broke through with a 2-for-5 game including a double for his first hits as a Miner. Ramirez gave up all five Crusher runs in 5-plus innings to take the loss.
Southern Illinois next returns home to face the River City Rascals in their 2015 home opener to start a six-game homestand at Rent One Park. Rick Teasley will pitch for the Miners against a starter yet to be named from River City, with first pitch at 7:05 p.m.
The Southern Illinois Miners are the 2014 Frontier League East Division Champions and the 2012 Frontier League Champions. They have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year award three times since their inception, and also set a new Frontier League attendance record in 2007, their inaugural season. For ticket information, contact the Rent One Park box office at 618-998-8499. For any additional information, visit our website at www.southernillinoisminers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2015
- Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rockford - Gateway Grizzlies
- Richardson, Urquhart Tally Three Hits Each in Loss to Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Win 6-3 in Evansville - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Split Sunday Double Header with Boomers - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Split Doubleheader in Pennsylvania - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Fall for the First Time in 2015 - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use four-run third to avoid sweep - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Fall in Lake Erie Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Opening Day Doubleheader with Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss to Aviators - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.