Otters Split Opening Day Doubleheader with Traverse City
EVANSVILLE, Ind. "" The Evansville Otters (1-1) split an Opening Day doubleheader with the Traverse City Beach Bums (1-1) on Saturday night, falling in the first contest 4-2 but winning the final game 3-1.
In the opener, the Otters took the lead on a Traverse City fielding error in the second.
Evansville starting pitcher Will Oliver retired the first 11 batters and took a no hitter into the fifth. Traverse City utilized a two-run home run from Adam Kirsch in the fifth and a two-run home run by Yazy Arbelo in the sixth to take a 4-1 advantage.
The Otters tallied a run in the bottom of the seventh on a wild pitch but reliever Bret Dahlson left the tying run at first with a game ending popup.
Oliver (0-1) took the loss, yielding four runs in 5.2 innings. Reliever Evan Mott struck out three batters in 1.1 innings of work.
Evansville took another lead in game two with a second inning RBI single by infielder Josh Allen.
Otters starter Preston Olson retired seven straight hitters into the fifth when Arbelo tied the game with a home run to left-center field.
Even at one, Evansville went back ahead when infielder Cory Urquhart led off the sixth with a double and scored on a pair of Traverse City errors. The Otters added a run later in the inning on a bases loaded walk by Kurt Wertz Jr. for the 3-1 lead.
Olson weaved around a two hit jam in the sixth and closer Edgar Lopez retired all three batters he faced in the seventh to complete the doubleheader split. Olson (1-0) earned the win, yielding just one run on four hits in 6.0 innings. The save for Lopez was the first of his professional career.
Wertz Jr. totaled three hits on the night, including his first professional hit.
The series will conclude on Sunday, May 17. It is Evansville Streets Alive night and first pitch is set for 5:05 p.m. CDT. Right-hander Trevor Walch (0-0, 0.00 ERA) will start for Evansville against Traverse City righty Ian MacDougall (0-0, 0.00 ERA).
Reserved seats are $9 as general admission tickets are only $6. Fans can purchase tickets by calling the team's front office at 812.435.8686 or online at EvansvilleOtters.com.
For all of the latest information on the Otters, log on to EvansvilleOtters.com or follow the team's twitter account @EvilleOtters.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2015
- Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rockford - Gateway Grizzlies
- Richardson, Urquhart Tally Three Hits Each in Loss to Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Win 6-3 in Evansville - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Split Sunday Double Header with Boomers - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Split Doubleheader in Pennsylvania - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Fall for the First Time in 2015 - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use four-run third to avoid sweep - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Fall in Lake Erie Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Opening Day Doubleheader with Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss to Aviators - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.