Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss to Aviators
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies offense came up a bit short for the second consecutive night, resulting in a 6-2 loss to the Rockford Aviators on Saturday night at GCS Ballpark.
Rockford (2-0) struck first with back to back singles by Greg Velasquez and Devon Rodriguez in the second inning. That put runners at the corners for Rockford. The next batter, Elijah Trail, then lifted a deep fly ball to center field to score Velazquez and give the Aviators a 1-0 lead.
The Grizzlies (0-2) had a runner in scoring position in each of the first two innings and were finally able to capitalize in the fourth. Rolando Gomez came up with the bases loaded and hit a deep fly ball to center field to score Madison Beaird from third base. Ben Waldrip followed Gomez with an RBI single to give the Grizzlies a 2-1 lead.
The Aviators struck back in the top of the fifth. Elijah Trail belted a pitch from Tyler Thompson over the right field wall to even the score at two apiece.
The Aviators then jumped on the Grizzlies' bullpen in the seventh inning. RHP David Murillo (0-1) allowed three consecutive walks before exiting with the bases loaded.
Zach Loraine then entered and allowed a 2-RBI double to Tanner Witt on the first pitch he threw. After a wild pitch plated a third run, Teodoro Martinez singled off Loraine to plate Witt and give Rockford a 6-2 lead.
Rockford's Michael Holback (1-0) took the win after throwing a scoreless sixth inning.
Rolando Gomez paced the offense with two hits and an RBI. Grant Buckner also had two hits.
The Grizzlies will look to avoid the sweep in the series finale against Rockford tomorrow night at GCS Ballpark. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. LHP Michael O'Neal will take the mound for Gateway and Rockford RHP Kyle Hassna will be on the bump for the Aviators.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2015
- Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rockford - Gateway Grizzlies
- Richardson, Urquhart Tally Three Hits Each in Loss to Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Win 6-3 in Evansville - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Split Sunday Double Header with Boomers - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Split Doubleheader in Pennsylvania - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Fall for the First Time in 2015 - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use four-run third to avoid sweep - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Fall in Lake Erie Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Opening Day Doubleheader with Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss to Aviators - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.