Beach Bums Win 6-3 in Evansville
EVANSVILLE (IN) The pitching staff combined for 10 strikeouts to lead the Traverse City Beach Bums to a 6-3 win at Bosses Field against the Evansville Otters on Sunday night. Starting pitcher Ian MacDougall racked up five punch outs over five innings and the bullpen added four more.
Reliever Chuck Ghysels notched the 200th and 201st strikeouts in his pro career during the eighth inning.
At the plate, Jake Rhodes' two-out, bases loaded hit in the sixth inning snapped a 1-1 tie and vaulted the Beach Bums out to a 4-1 lead. The Beach Bums would build a 6-2 lead before having to hold off a late Evansville rally.
The Otters led 1-0 after scoring a run in the bottom of the third on a bases loaded fielder's choice. However, MacDougall worked out of what could've been a worse situation allowing just that single run.
Traverse City failed to connect offensively against Evansville starter Taylor Walch until the sixth. Jeff DeBlieux singled with one out. He stole second and scored on Jose Vargas' RBI double to right-center.
Later in the inning, with the bases loaded and two outs Rhodes came to bat to face reliever Adam Mott. Rhodes would lace a base hit to center field. The ball would skip by Ronnie Richardson allowing all three runs to score to give the Beach Bums the 4-1 lead.
A Shayne Houck solo homer in the sixth cut the lead to 4-2. Then in the seventh, the Beach Bums would get that run back. With one out and runners at the corner, Greg Harisis scored from third on a double steal, alluding the tag of the catcher after the ball had beaten him to the plate.
The Beach Bums took a 6-2 lead in the eighth on Adam Kirsch's solo homer to left.
Evansville would get a run back in the bottom of the eighth and it was 6-3 entering the ninth.
In the bottom of the ninth, Andrew Brockett would get the first two outs but then allowed two singles and a walk. With the bases loaded and Houck up to bat, a sharp grounder was knocked down by second basemen Alex Tomasovich who flipped to second for the force to end the game.
Vargas finished with two hits in the game. The Beach Bums' home opener is scheduled for next Friday vs. Windy City at 7:05pm. There will be a FANtastic fireworks show following that game. All games are broadcast live on 98.1 The Bear.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 17, 2015
- Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rockford - Gateway Grizzlies
- Richardson, Urquhart Tally Three Hits Each in Loss to Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Win 6-3 in Evansville - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Split Sunday Double Header with Boomers - Washington Wild Things
- Boomers Split Doubleheader in Pennsylvania - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Fall for the First Time in 2015 - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use four-run third to avoid sweep - Lake Erie Crushers
- Miners Fall in Lake Erie Finale - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
- Otters Split Opening Day Doubleheader with Traverse City - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies' Bats Quiet in Loss to Aviators - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.