RGV Vipers Fall to Canton 110-100
HIDALGO, Texas "" The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (5-8) fell 110-100 to the Canton Charge (9-6) tonight at State Farm Arena.
Jarvis Threatt led the Vipers with 25 points. Chris Johnson added 16 points, followed by Tony Bishop with 14 points. Akeem Richmond scored 13 points, and Akil Mitchell tallied 12 points.
Arinze Onuaku led Canton with a double-double 32 points and 17 rebounds. Michael Dunigan added 25 points. Justin Johnson scored 16 points. Stephen Holt added 11 points.
RGV put the first 8 points on the board with a three-pointer from Chris Johnson, and a layup and three-pointer from Bishop. Onuaku scored a shot at the line for Canton to put the Charge on the scoreboard 8-1. RGV responded with a 17-6 run to lead the Charge 25-27 midway through the first quarter. Canton cut its deficit to 31-22 by the end of the quarter.
With 8:47 remaining in the first half, Justin Johnson made a layup to close Canton's gap to 35-30. The Charge was able to stay within 10 points of RGV until the end of the half. Threatt connected on a shot from beyond the arc and Mitchell followed with an alley-oop to give the Vipers a 62-49 advantage at halftime.
Canton outscored the Vipers 31-21 to close its deficit to 83-80 at the end of the quarter.
Holt stole the 95-94 lead for Canton with a three-pointer with 5:27 remaining in the game. Mitchell responded with a dunk to put the Vipers back up 96-95. Then, Onuaku made a dunk to give Canton a 97-96 advantage. The Charge led the remainder of the game.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 20, 2014
- Warriors Shut Down the Stampede in Weekend Double-Header - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stampede Defeated by Santa Cruz 120-97 - Idaho Stampede
- RGV Vipers Fall to Canton 110-100 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- BayHawks Bounce Back with Home Win over Energy - Erie BayHawks
- Mad Anmts Hold off Drive to Reclaim First Place in Central - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Hang on to Win 7th Straight - Maine Red Claws
- Iowa Energy Fall to Erie BayHawks - Iowa Wolves
- Westchester Knicks Remain Winless on the Road - Westchester Knicks
- D-Fenders Acquire Zach Andrews - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Muscala Recalled - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Grant Jerrett Assigned to NBA D-League's Oklahoma City Blue - G League
- Grant Jerrett Assigned to Oklahoma City Blue - Oklahoma City Blue
- Russ Smith Recalled - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers Premium Dates Released Ahead of 2019-20 Season
- Blair Leads Vipers to Top of G League
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers Earn Third NBA G League Championship
- The Chase for Three Continues: Vipers Force a Winner Take All in the 2019 NBA G League Finals
- Vipers Fall Short to Nets in Game 1 of NBA G League Finals | April 7